Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When the weather man makes me look like an idiot

steel1212

I canceled the match today do to a all day rain predicition. We would have been in the rain from 8AM probably until about 5PM. Rain stopped around 11am or and the sun is out.... :angry2:

Edited by steel1212

Why cancel because of rain? That's what rain gear is for. That is unless your bays flood and you'd need hip waders.

When its no longer fun whats the point?

Fair enough. I just make the assumption that it's always fun to shoot. That is unless its both Cold and raining. I draw the line with both.

Why cancel because of rain? That's what rain gear is for. That is unless your bays flood and you'd need hip waders.

When its no longer fun whats the point?

Fair enough. I just make the assumption that it's always fun to shoot. That is unless its both Cold and raining. I draw the line with both.

The shooting part wouldn't be to bad but when my crew would have to be there 2.5hrs before the match started, run shooters the 1st run, then run shooters a 2nd time, tear down, then I would have to deal with all the soaking score sheets. I just figured it wouldn't be all that fun but Mother Nature threw me a curve.

Yeah, I made the call at 6:30 this morning when I got up. I really can't wait until match time as that wouldn't be fair to those that had to travel to get there.

You made the right call. The ground would've been terrible and there was lots of precipitation on radar.

Steel1212

We have a similar one for our CAS matches, We have it on weather permitting based on the forcast from the evening before. The range is in a hole and access can be dicey when wet and in the summer it is an oven. Sometimes the call is a just call and others it's not :rolleyes: . Do you have to drive out and post the gate or wait to turn others away? Short of going through a long phone list, that is my only option for those without e-mail.

By the way, we have a thunderstorm going through right now and the other range that we shoot at got snow last week :blink:

Edited by Modoc

When I took over running matches at Circleville I got a lot of questions about "when will you cancel a match due to weather". I see both sides of canceling the match. I really like shooting a lot. So I figure that if nothing else I'll be shooting with other guys that must be just as diehard as I am. If the match is scheduled, then I will run it no matter what. I have been called crazy a time or two though.

When I took over running matches at Circleville I got a lot of questions about "when will you cancel a match due to weather". I see both sides of canceling the match. I really like shooting a lot. So I figure that if nothing else I'll be shooting with other guys that must be just as diehard as I am. If the match is scheduled, then I will run it no matter what. I have been called crazy a time or two though.

Yeah, well since I got a lot of emails complaining about it, I better see a lot of face the next time it rains cause its ON!

Yeah, well since I got a lot of emails complaining about it, I better see a lot of face the next time it rains cause its ON!

That happened to one of last match directors and he suggested it to me.