Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you explain IPSC shooting

After I explained what we do to someone last year, he asked me why I still like it so much. His thought was, no matter how fun a hobby is, don't you get bored after a while? So I said, "Not a chance".

"Imagine you play chess and each week you go to the chess club, where there's 5-6 boards set up with partially played games. Each one unique, with an almost infinite variety available. You and the other players get 5 minutes to study each board and devise your fastest and most efficient plan to win that game. Then you each take a turn to implement your plan, working to win faster and score more points in each game than the other players....but you do it with a gun, moving and shooting like your hair is on fire and your backside is catchin'. The one who scores the best win in the shortest time, wins.

Bored? No way."

I tell people that it is like an obstacle course and a maze with targets interspersed through out and you have to do it faster and more accurately than anyone else to win. Usually get,s their interest up. KurtM
I describe it as an obstacle course with targets in it, where the competitors shoot as fast and as accurately as possible. Points divided by time gives you your score, which is compared to all other competitors.

Those work for me - short and simple.

No more biathalon analogies... :cheers: