Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9x21 And 9x19 Mm

fox34

The cases are not the same length. Since the 9x19 case is 2 millimeters shorter, the rounds will chamber in a 9x21 barrel. If the extractor engages the extraction groove on the case it is possible that a 9x19 round will actually fire in a 9x21 chambered pistol if the extractor holds the round firmly enough for the primer strike to actually ignite it. It is more likely that the extractor will not grab the case and it won't work at all, or that you will get erratic ignition because the cases are slipping forward as the firing pin hits the primer thereby reducing the energy imparted to the primer below the reliable ignition point.

Either way, you are best advised to use 9x21 cases in a 9x21 chambered barrel. The case length is basically the only difference in these cartridges.

Regards,

Fox, I'll echo George's comments:

you can (technically) fire a 9x19 round in a 9x21 mm chambered barrel, even if the 9x19 brass is 2 mm shorter than its italian counterpart: I have witnessed some 9x21 Berettas firing 9 parabellum rounds quite fine.

The problem is that firing such round implies the extractor is holding the round against the firing pin blow, and (moreover) when the firing pin contacts the primer, the whole round is moved a bit forward (to the extent allowed by the extractor hook): this will result in a hard blow back from the recoil onto the extractor hook.

In short words, if you fire maybe a few rounds this way, you won't damage your gun; otherwise, should this become a common practice, you'll end up with a broken extractor.

Just my .02 c worth.

There's a guy at our range that shoots 9mm through his open gun 9x21 blaster, and he shoots 9mm long loaded at major power factor. It's funny how his gun sounds the closest I can describe it by typing is, Ta-ta, ta-bam, ta-ta, ta-bam. :D He says it's not the powder giving it the inconsistent sound (bam) with the gun doing powder burn at the comp, but the crimp is what makes it inconsistent. I think it's the combination of inconsistent bullet grip due to 125 grain bullet being seated out so far that there is not much brass holding it, but also the 2mm difference of the the chambering. I will have to agree with Sky and George on the strain put on the extractor when firing 9mm round in 9x21 chambers. josh

Shooting 9mm thru a 9x21 barrel will almost certainly result in VERY early extractor failure. Same for 40cal in a 10mm barrel.

Also, don't expect much accuracy. You're primer ignition is going to be extremely inconsistent because every 9x19 round will move a slightly different amount as the firing pin hits. It robs the firing pin of momentum.

Autopistols are designed to headspace on the case mouth, for many good reasons. Stick with that.

dvc - eric - a28026

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks everybody, all your great advice has been appreciated. I quess "thumbs down" to that EAA Gold Team that I was planning to buy. Again, Thanks.

Fox34

Not really. Just buy a new 9x19 barrel. I think Briley was making some. Contact EGW. They should know who to get a decent barrel from.