Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dusty cases after media separation

Jerry Price

Try new dryer sheets....they seem to collect dust better. To answer the question, I wouldn't worry about the dust...shouldn't hurt anything as it's pretty close to inert. If you want to save a little money, get crushed walnut at your local pet supply store.....just as good and much cheaper. R,

But once you get the crushed walnut shells (most likely sold as "Lizard Litter" at the pet stores, or as blasting media to auto body/paint shops), just be sure to seperate your calibers from each other before you tumble.

the 9's will get stuck inside the .40's or the .45's and then the .40's will get stuck inside the .45's.

then you will have to pry the stuck cases apart from each other by hand. :angry2:

It's one of those things you only do once and then chalk it up as a lesson from the School of Hard Knocks.

I have used the dryer sheet thing. I use the been through the dryer once already sheets, NOT the new sheets.

I have also used Nu Finish, adding a little bit, maybe at most a cap full at any one time while it's just the media tumbling and then used a stick to stir it up and break up the clumps.

What I do now that also cuts down on the dust is to dribble in some odorless mineral spirits, again while the machine is running.

Back when I was running an ink stripe around the outside of the case and NOT just the headstamp stripe thing, the mineral spirits seemed to really cut through and remove the old ink stripe.

I still do the mineral spirits thing eventhough I NO longer stripe around the case. It still cuts down on the dust.

And just as another precaution, I always make sure my face is clean shaven and put on a dust mask when using the bingo roller type of media seperator that I have.

Plain old paper towels will absorb the dust too, I use the blue shop towels cause thats whats close by when tumbling, cut one sheet into 4 parts and toss in with the media.

Boats

I quit using nut shell media, a lot less dust with corncob even though it is a little slower. And pound for pound that Lyman media has got to be the most expensive option on the market. Even not getting fancy you can order bulk say 25lbs of media with shipping for the same price they charge for the gallon jugs.

FWIW, I stopped by Wally World today to take a look at what they had for media... either ground up corn cob or crushed walnut shells.

I found the bags of kinda sorta ground corn cob by the company Hart (yeah, like the flea collars).

I was trying to get an apples to apples comparison.

The outside of the bag was printed with some info that it was so many cubic miles of corn cob or some other such nonsense :unsure:

It was priced at $4.17 a bag.

The price tag on the shelf also said it was 8 pounds.

Hmmn???

So I took it up to the check out lane. The gal weighed it on her produce scale. It was actually 6.6 pounds.

NOT 8 pounds as listed on the price tag on the shelf. :angry2:

So I put it back on the shelf.

I will probably just call some auto body/paint shop suppliers tomorrow to see what they have for blasting media.