Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dented barrel -normal?

marcin c

After having my "tuned" STI falling apart after few thousand rounds I am now practicing with my backup gun, plain STI Edge. It only has about 3-4,000 rounds (both purchased from the same distributor).

Today while cleaning more thoroughly than usual I discovered dents on the barrel, where the recoilmaster interferes with the barrel. It seems obvious to me that these dents are caused by recoilmaster, rubbing/hitting agains the barrel. Dents are deep enough to case friction/ staggering motion of the recolmaster's end when I am running it with my hand against the barrel.

I use factory loads only of 174 PF approx.

Is this normal wear? What would cause this?

Thanks.

marcin

post-15548-1240564032_thumb.jpg

Edited by marcin c

AFAIK the recoil spring guide rod should never come in contact with the barrel legs. So I would say that I concur with the poster saying that someone used the barrel to get the bushing out is correct.

//Fredrik

Ok, I give up, how do you use the bbl to get out a tight bushing (as a cheater on the bushing wrench?)

Ok, I give up, how do you use the bbl to get out a tight bushing (as a cheater on the bushing wrench?)

With the slide off, guide rod, spring and guide rod bushing out of the slide. Barrel bushing rotated to unlock the bushing tang. Turn the barrel link down and slide the barrel out of the slide about an inch. Pull the barrel out of the slide letting the feet hit the back of the bushing. This acts like a small slide hammer and pops the tight barrel bushing out of the slide. This might cause tiny dings in the base of the barrel feet like those shown in the above pic but causes no problems to the barrel or bushing.

CYa,

Pat

• 2 weeks later...
I noticed similar dings on my Open gun while using a Recoilmaster. They were bad enough interfre with the barrell lug and had to be cleaned up. I have switched to a standard one piece guide rod and have not seen any further damage.

Ray

I'll switch to a guide rode I guess, as I did with my other gun (I would have assumed that a barrel would be made of a tougher material though).

Just to add to the general misery, the barrel link broke recently on this gun too. On my other ("custom tuned") STI the link pin broke a month ago (and barrel damaged), now on this gun (EDGE 5.0) the link itself broke in half. Both guns had cca. 4,000 rounds each and were purchased in January. It is screwing up my match schedule completely. :wacko:

Is there something wrong with sti's quality management, or should I have never quit shootin' that glock..? I think my next gear will be something like custom svi from someone I know..

Links shouldn't break off. It seems that you have some serios barrel fit problems on you guns.

AFIK the link should NEVER break since the barrel feet should hit the vertical inpact area first (the frame).

To my knowledge the barrel link only breaks if the vertical impact if too far back (rear of the gun).

I recommend that you send both guns back for either a refund or replacement.

//Fredrik

I noticed similar dings on my Open gun while using a Recoilmaster. They were bad enough interfre with the barrell lug and had to be cleaned up. I have switched to a standard one piece guide rod and have not seen any further damage.

Ray

I'll switch to a guide rode I guess, as I did with my other gun (I would have assumed that a barrel would be made of a tougher material though).

Just to add to the general misery, the barrel link broke recently on this gun too. On my other ("custom tuned") STI the link pin broke a month ago (and barrel damaged), now on this gun (EDGE 5.0) the link itself broke in half. Both guns had cca. 4,000 rounds each and were purchased in January. It is screwing up my match schedule completely. :wacko:

Is there something wrong with sti's quality management, or should I have never quit shootin' that glock..? I think my next gear will be something like custom svi from someone I know..