Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Ammo

Bwana Six-Gun

OK, did a quick search and did not see anything covering this. Theoretical situation: I shoot Revolver and want to use 200 SWC for my LMR moon clip and 230 RN for all my reloads. If I send samples of both to the chrono at the start of the match or whenever they collect chrono rounds and am willing to live with the results, ie. 200 SWC maybe doesn't make Major and I end up getting scored Minor for the match, is this legal? Do I need the Match Director's permission for two different loads?

What say you guru's of the rulebook?

Thanks.

I don't know if you have the MD approval. What I do know is a buddy of mine had 2 different loads in his range bag (one moly, one jacketed) and he had to chrono them both. If he had to chrono them both then I would assume he could have used them both.

Uh, while a RM might allow it, I would wonder why you would want to do such a thing?

Sticking with a single load will allow you to develop a known shot to shot timing even though it might not be appearant to you. Changing loads will change that timing even if they both make aexactly the same PF.

Lee

Uh, while a RM might allow it, I would wonder why you would want to do such a thing?

Sticking with a single load will allow you to develop a known shot to shot timing even though it might not be appearant to you. Changing loads will change that timing even if they both make aexactly the same PF.

Lee

Not sure if you were referring to me, but I had to do it because that's what I had available.

A last-minute chrono check showed that something had shifted in my reloading setup while loading for the match, so I was stuck using leftovers.

Is the advantage on the reload really worth the different in point of impact? On my 625 shooting 200gr or 230gr I notice a big difference of POI especially on longer shots. I'd just go with the 230RN all around. If you're burning up ammo that you have a local match, I don't think anyone would really care.

~Mitch