Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Grips

D.Hayden

I want to try working on my grips on a Kimber 45, but I don't want to hack up my stock grips.

I'm looking for suggestions for places to find grips that are wood or plastic that I can file/carve, to make it easier for my thumb to reach the mag release, with a little less awkwardness.

Thanks, Dave

Try eBay.

Do a search for "1911 grips"; you'll find all sorts of stuff. Further refine your search to exclude the words "Pachmayr", "rubber", and "ivory", and you'll certainly uncover a few pieces cheap enough to experiment on.

Also, ask at your local gunshop; some places have a box under the counter full of assorted castoff stocks too ugly to display. Might find a pair of USGI 1911 slabs for five bucks. Might not. Worth a try.

I want to try working on my grips on a Kimber 45, but I don't want to hack up my stock grips.

I'm looking for suggestions for places to find grips that are wood or plastic that I can file/carve, to make it easier for my thumb to reach the mag release, with a little less awkwardness.

Thanks, Dave

Have you tried any slim grips?

I have slim grips on my single stack. Add to that the paddle shaped mag release from Wilson. I have heard the mag release has been discontinued but you can still find it at Brownell's. Made a big difference to my stubby fingers.

I have ultra thin grip panels on all of my 1911s (at least the guns that aren't stuck in limbo with my FLG), plus short triggers.

The least expensive at Brownells are the Navridex. I have two sets of them (both on Kimbers) and I really like them. One set is black micarta and the other is Mahogany.

If you're going to install the bushings yourself, don't forget to get the special screwdriver bits that Brownells sells. You'll need the standard to remove the bushings from you stock pistol, then the version for the short bushings to install your new bushings.