Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 with 223 question

I have been loading 45acp on my first 650 for a couple yrs and am very happy with it. I just bought a lightly used 650 set up for 223. Loading rifle caliber on a progressive is going to be a learning curve. I trim rifle cases with a Girard trimmer which kicks butt, so I need to process brass in stages.

My thinking is that I will decap and resize only the first time through, then trim offline. Last I will run them through the 650 again with a second tool head set up for powder charge and seating/crimping if needed.

Does this sound logical?

Next question, I lube cases with alcohol diluted wax sprayed on cases in a baggy, then laid out to dry before running through the sizer. What do you all think about running these waxed cases through the case feeder? It would sure speed things up.

Am I way off base here, any suggestions would help?

I am debating the same thing. I am loading .223 for varmints, so I have been trimming them, loading them on a single stage press, and weighing every load to get as much accuracy as I can. I would love to use my 650, but I don't know if the Dillon powder measure is consistent enough. I was also wondering about the best way to trim cases and use the 650.

I ordered a floating tool head from John Whidden set up with a funnel in one station. He claims you can weigh charges and dump them pretty fast with this setup. I am going to give this a try. I am more wondering if I can run the waxed cased through the case feeder without getting it all gunked up and needing cleaned all the time. Dry wax really shouldnt hurt anything.

You need to search on that..

There's different degrees of sucess.. for me it was reliable.. I just don't like the powder... but lots of others ae doing it still

There's some threads about polishing the measure etc.. search for varget and polishing

I am debating the same thing. I am loading .223 for varmints, so I have been trimming them, loading them on a single stage press, and weighing every load to get as much accuracy as I can. I would love to use my 650, but I don't know if the Dillon powder measure is consistent enough. I was also wondering about the best way to trim cases and use the 650.

i would think the dillon trimmer would be the best bet

I reload 223 and 308 on my 650, but only a little. I start with once fired brass then.....

1. I decap with my rock chucker and a universal decapping die.

2. Tumble for 3 hours

3. Resize in rock chucker (much better leverage)

4. Trim brass with my Dillon 1200 trimmer in my rock chucker and deburr

5. Tumble for 2 hours to remove sizing lube and finish polishing brass

6. Check brass in case gauge, visually inspect

7. If I'm using a ball powder I put the processed cases in the case feeder and load.

7a. If I'm using an extruded powder (won't meter worth a crap in any powder measure)

*cases get primed in 650 (no tool head),

*put in loading block, charged with RCBS charge master

*remove pin from station 4 on 650

*place charged cases in station 4, seat bullet, let loaded cartridge fall into bin

Sounds like a lot of extra work but I feel better about the finished ammo this way.

I also don't use a crimp on my bottle neck cases. Just because I never have. Us old farts are stuck in our ways.

How well does the measure throw Varget?

not as well as say h335

H335 it is then, I have an 8lb jug of it. I use Varget in my 308 bolt gun. I just ordered a case feeder and some accessories from Brian, looking forward to getting this going.