Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Verizon Wireless

al503

I switched to AT&T after ~9 years with with Verizon Wireless. My 2 years was up and I wanted to get the I-Phone.

I called customer service right before I went into the AT&T store who looked up my account and said that I could switch any time and my account with them would terminate as soon as AT&T took the phone number. Great. What they failed to tell me is that I would be charged for the rest of the billing cycle. Apparently, they revised my agreement with them and notified me via one of those 'user agreement has been changed' junk mailings. I'm sure y'all are like me and read those new agreements from the credit card companies front to back when you get them...

I was exactly 2 days into the next billing cycle when I switched. $69.xx for 14 minutes of airtime. It would have been nice if that lady, who knew I was going to get screwed for a month, would have let me know about this change in my user agreement. I would have probably used my old phone for the rest of the month and then switched right before the next billing cycle.

Anyway. I hope they f'n choke on my $.

Ouch...that sucks!

Funny, but yesterday my wife and I switched from AT&T to Verizon. I was a Cingular customer going back to the early 90s and never changed. My AT&T phone barely worked here...had to stand in one place in the house, or outside, while my work Verizon Blackberry is 100% everywhere in the area.

Those "slight changes" to user agreements are just BS :angry2:

Ouch...that sucks!

Funny, but yesterday my wife and I switched from AT&T to Verizon. I was a Cingular customer going back to the early 90s and never changed. My AT&T phone barely worked here...had to stand in one place in the house, or outside, while my work Verizon Blackberry is 100% everywhere in the area.

Those "slight changes" to user agreements are just BS :angry2:

The iPhone and ATT isn't a great combo. The chipset on the phone is new and not right, Therefore you get a lot of dropped calls and 3G sucks big time... It's worse in the Midwest I hear, or I would if the iPhone had decent volume. Hell, half the time you are lucky to get EDGE. :(

Edited by JThompson

Maybe it sucks in Rockfordtucky, but up here the AT&T iPhone absolutely ROCKS! I have had one dropped call, ONE, and 3G is stone reliable as well as fast. Speaker phone volume is a little low, but that is it. I am extremely happy with my iPhone.

I have AT&T and the iphone and have no complaints. This phone is the greatest invention since sliced bread. It does anything you want. I downloaded a shottimer from the apps store day before yesterday. Havent been able to try to it on the range yet but it works great for dry firing. It has a start delay that you can set from 0 -10 secs. it also has a par time setting if you want to work on your draw time.

I worked in telecommunications for AT&T for a while and it all depends on what area you are in. Different companies have more cell towers in one city than in others. I know AT&T has great coverage in the dallas area since this is where I worked mostly. Sprint hardly has any towers in that area. The reason you drop calls when on 3g is that some towers have been upgrade with the new software and radios while other towers have not. for instance, you are driving down the interstate talking and your cell phone is getting the signal from a tower with the 3g technology and as you drive down the road you enter the area of a tower with only edge, that causes the call to be disconnected. Once all the towers have been upgraded this will not be a problem.

I have been a Verizon custumer for years in MN, I love the service I get. P.S. this is not a rebuttal!

Didn't take it as one. If Apple offered the I-Phone with Verizon I'd have stuck with them. I do think they better coverage but I haven't experienced any drops with AT&T yet.

Just make sure that you make the most of the current billing period you're on should you decide to switch to another provider. I bet you didn't know about this little change in your user agreement and I'm sure Verizon counts on that to make their board member's a little happier.

I had poor coverage with AT&T so I also switched to Verizon, took 8 phone lines with me. AT&T did work in Ireland when I was there, and a Verizon phone wouldn't. I'd love to have the Iphone, but I like Verizon coverage better than any phone, so I'm sticking with Verizon.

Maybe it sucks in Rockfordtucky, but up here the AT&T iPhone absolutely ROCKS! I have had one dropped call, ONE, and 3G is stone reliable as well as fast. Speaker phone volume is a little low, but that is it. I am extremely happy with my iPhone.

Glad to hear it Howard, I was concerned when you said you were going to buy one.

iPhone is changing the chipset from the Infinion to a Broadcom set. While never saying there was a problem I find it interesting that after only a year with this set they are going with another manufacturer. I must say it's only a rumor to this point, but from what I have read with all the issues of the set I'm hoping for a change. If they do change it this phone is down the road and I'll get the new set. One would only hope they would do something with the low volume issues as well.

Check this:

http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/5949

http://www.uberphones.com/2009/04/iphone_t...cm4329_chipset/

And a Google

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&saf...lem&spell=1

Edited by JThompson

How can you tell when a cell phone salesman is lying? His lips are moving.

We needed a new cell phone to replace a broken one, so my family went to the mall and spoke to the rep in one of the kiosks. They were told they could get a new phone for $20, with "no change in contract" but decided to get my opinion first. I checked with T-Mobile, and they had no such deal (just phones for $70 and up if bought as replacements without a contract). So, either the mall salesman had access to a deal the carrier's direct reps don't, or he was lying and would have put it down as a contract renewal. I strongly suspect the later.

I managed to buy a new phone locked to the same carrier on E-Bay for $39, with absolutely no chance doing so would "accidentally" renew my contract.

Good timing on this. I've been a Verizon customer since 1995... they were GTE wireless at the time. They've followed me to 4 major metropolitan cities, always with a MAJOR hassle in getting phones and phone numbers moved. Anytime they screw up they fix it, but ya gotta EARN it.

Anyhow, I want an iphone so bad I can't see straight. My contract with Verizon is up in a couple of months.... How is the AT&T cell coverage generally? I don't expect it to be perfect, but its 2009... I pretty much expect a phone signal anywhere there's more than 4 people. Can AT&T keep up with Verizon's network?

Seth (thread hijack, but I hate Verizon too!!!)

Good timing on this.

If I can save a few fellow members some $ when they switch, then it's all worth it.

In terms of coverage, I haven't had a dropped call even on my way to the beach last week. I get a full signal at the range also whereas coverage was spotty at best with verizon.

We've had Verizon for 4 years. In that time we've had 2 dropped calls. Both of them were in the mountains between Kentucky and Tennessee on I-75. I guess it's just where you live. Here in the arm pit of the Midwest (Cincinnati) Verizon is the only way to go. We had AT&T and Sprint. Both dropped calls from one side of the house to the other.