Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What I'm Seeing

davecutts

Since I've upped my dry fire time (inspired by forum members) I've been seeing a lot more at home, but when I get to the range to practice or for a match I don't always remember seeing much.

So what do I mean ... from experience I know what I need to see to make most shots, and while dry firing I make myself see what I need to see to make a shot, almost all the time, to the point that if I swing by a target and gank on the trigger with out getting the necessary visual input, I can call the need for a make up instantly. Now I go shoot a match and for a couple of stages I'll be in that mode sort of, and then it all falls apart. Or I'll pull a couple of lousy shots, and will not register it until a target or two latter, and I'll have to back for the make ups. I know it has to do with trying to hard, or at all, and wanting to shoot well. I've had stages where the pistol just seemed to float into the targets, and it seemed like I was taking forever, seeing everything, but they are fleeting moments. By nature I am a patient man, but I know I also have the tendency to push myself to hard. When the buzzer goes off the trier beats out the patient man and I have to work on getting it the other way around.

Suggestions please.

If this makes no sense let me know.

Dave,

IMO dry firing suplements practice and practice supplements the match.

I would advise you try to implement your dry firing into your practice sessions (even if there aren't that many) When match day comes don't think about what you need to be doing (like we do when we dry fire) Just focus on the key points of the stage or whatever and go with the flow. Theoretically your body will do what you have trained it to.

I can't think of another spin to put on it.

Thanks

JB

Here is why it happens:

At the beginning of the match you probly start just like practice and the first few stages go well.

Then, you begin rely on your perception of being "on" that day and and get lazy on the vision and start pushing the speed.

Then, a stage goes poorly and the tailspin begins.

Sound about right?

The trick is to execute fundamentals and withold judgement, good or bad until the match is over.

Let your competition worry...about you. Be the only guy at the match, and make it a vision contest.

SA

Then, a stage goes poorly and the tailspin begins.

Sound about right?

Oh ... something ... along ... those ... lines, or yes you hit the nail on the head. And speed does kill.

I haven't shot in a couple of weeks because of work, and in the past when I've taken a little break like that I've gone out and totally trashed the match going way to fast. More than likely to prove to myself I can still perform at past levels. I'll have to find some tricks to get me on the fundamentals/judgment thing.

• 1 month later...