Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MSTN Quiet comp holes on top?

lucas

Why have the 3 holes drilled on top at a 1 o'clock on the right side. When doing quick doubles or like yesterday getting to put as many as you can rounds on a moving target traveling aprox 50 feet one way then back again it seemed the muzzle was getting pushed to the left.

I think the theory is that the recoil pushes the muzzle up and right, so those holes counter by pushing down and left.

I'm glad to hear from someone who's tried it telling me it doesn't work all that well. I was considering that very comp for my Mini-14. Guess I'll keep looking for something else.

If you want to try a Dreadnaught industries comp, I'll bring my AR to Hobbs next match. Let me know.

Hey Mark,

I'm always willing to try different stuff. There is a rifle side match at the May 2nd match. I'm not planning to enter simply because my ammo budget is all going for pistol stuff. (I may still change my mind.) But if you're bringing it, and will let me shoot a few rounds before or after, I'll bring a box of .223.

Edited by mgood

Oh yeah, I'll have it with me. You can use it for the side match if you want. If you bring a whole box, the side matches aren't usually real ammo intense. But whatever, I'll have it & you are welcome to shoot it.

MLM

• 3 months later...
Michael,

If you want to try a Dreadnaught industries comp, I'll bring my AR to Hobbs next match. Let me know.

MLM

I put one of these on my 16" rifle and love it. I was thinking of putting one on my 10.5" but am afraid of the noise. Any better suggestions?

Rifles that recoil up and to the right tend to do so based on the stance of the shooter. What part of physics in a bullet exiting the barrel causes recoil to only impart itself up and to the right? Notice left hand shooters that shoot a bladed stance tend to see recoil up and to the left.

I never see recoil up and to the right and I relate alot of that to my stance. Which is a squared up isosceles stance with a forward progressively aggressive posture and by placing the stock more inboard to rest near the clavicle to control recoil and rapid fire muzzle control. Recoil tends to follow the path of least resistance in a bladed stance when the rifle is placed into the pocket of the shoulder and the stance is bladed and off center. Basically like weaver but with a rifle.

My stance is very universal across all platforms and I do not see the rise up and to the right. Its very neutral and to the rear. So I do not like brakes with off center holes on top.

I'm not the brightest bulb in the house so its not always easy to understand things unless I go out and get actual real world hands on experience alot of the times. If someone can debunk my theory.....I would like to learn more about recoil. Recoil is a weird beast,it imparts a force that causes change and it tends to be different for everyone.