Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blew it on steels!

DrWScott

I shot my 2nd local match this week and learned a VALUABLE lesson the hard way. On the final stage there were 6 steels and 12 papers. I was shooting Production with only 4 mags (first mistake). :wacko: Then spent 2.5 mags on steels (2nd mistake) - :blink: yeah, I really need practice on steel. Then, when I went to shoot the remaining papers, simple math will tell you I only got to 8 of the 12 before running out of ammo. Thankfully, several of the experienced shooters in my club (South Florida Pistol Club) gave me GREAT advice so that doesn't happen again.

I have competed in several sports over the years and have never experienced anything like the friendliness and helpfulness in this sport.

Welcome to the forum and our sport. :cheers: I was practicing yesterday with a couple of relatively new shooters. They had never seen a swinger before and since they'll be shooting the area 6 match this coming weekend, we spent a lot of time shooting the paper plates, poppers, and the swinger. After a few runs they started to get it. Hopefully this will take away some of the anxiety when they have to do it for real.

DrWScott,... What is the difference between shooting a paper plate and a steel plate? It was when I answered this question for myself, steel became like any other target. Welcome to the addiction.

Sorry, guess I could have been more clear. By paper I meant standard USPSA paper targets. I not only got mikes for not shooting, but got penalties as well.

Live and learn.

I like steel.

My first match, way back in . . . February, there was one stage that was nothing but eleven steel plates. Someone quipped that I was going to have fun shooting those 8" plates with my "little sawed-off 1911." I'm not what you'd call fast :closedeyes: I just took my time and knocked down eleven plates with eleven shots. I loved seeing the speed demons burn up 20+ rounds to knock down the same eleven plates. (I still got my butt kicked because they're so much faster than me.)

What's that little blaster in your avatar? Looks a lot like mine.

Edited by mgood

I have always liked steel because of the sound feeback when you get a hit. My very first match I had to deal with two texas stars in one stage. I did quite well, the key with steel is go slow and make shure the sights are lined up and squeze. Here is a video of that stage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOXgCg7MAD0 Keep on practicing!!

I am not trying to be rude but the key to EVERY shot is "make sure the sights are lined up and squeeze", not just with steel and if you are waiting for "sound feedback" then you are not calling your shots and you are losing time waiting for said feedback instead of transitioning to the next target. Call your shots, if the front sight lifted as it was lined up with the notch in the rear sight on the gun, move to the next target. Forget about hearing the steel. You cant hear the paper and if you have correct front sight focus you cant see the hole either.

I have always liked steel because of the sound feeback when you get a hit. My very first match I had to deal with two texas stars in one stage. I did quite well, the key with steel is go slow and make shure the sights are lined up and squeze. Here is a video of that stage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOXgCg7MAD0 Keep on practicing!!

I do too. In my first match I had a stage with 21 steels - including a Texas Star and I did fantastic on it. But last week I absolutely blew the simple 6 steels - dunno why. But my biggest problem was NOT setting a limit for the steels and moving on to the papers for points.

Wow, you did GREAT on that stage with two stars. Here's one of my buddies trying a stage with a texas star at his first match...(3 magazines later, I'm OUT! and the star's still standing!)