Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Odd situation on 550

I've been running some .45 ACP lead bullets on my 550. Iv'e adjusted my seating so I'd get an OAL of 1.25 After running some they were 1.26. Again I'd set it for 1.25, again they came out 1.26. Three or four times this happend. No big deal, when I drop em im my barrel they are even with the hood. I just thought it was kinda wierd.

I've been running some .45 ACP lead bullets on my 550. Iv'e adjusted my seating so I'd get an OAL of 1.25 After running some they were 1.26. Again I'd set it for 1.25, again they came out 1.26. Three or four times this happend. No big deal, when I drop em im my barrel they are even with the hood. I just thought it was kinda wierd.

Might wanna' check & see if you've got a little crud built up in the seating stem.

The fact that you are loading lead bullets is the reason you are coming up with the different OAL from one round to the next. Take a look at the noses of the bullets. Probably dinged up a bit from the manufacturing process, boxing,shipping, etc.. I bout drove myself nuts years ago doing what you are doing with 230 grain round nose bullets. I finally set my seater and forgot about the differences. If the rounds feed reliably and make the power factor then load them up and go shoot.

CYa,

Pat

Check the OAL of your brass. If you're using mixed headstamp brass, you might find a variation. Add the difference between having the stations full vs. not, a dirty seating die, variation in the oal of the bullet itself, etc. and I guess you could easily see a difference of 10 thou between finished rounds.

It may sound like a stupid suggestion, but are you absolutely sure you're completing the upstroke of the ram with each pull of the lever? How sturdy is your bench? Are you calipers el cheapos or are they quality made? How tight is your crimp? What I'm getting at is---could it be possible that the rounds are falling into the bin and landing on the nose end of the bullet causing them to seat in a little?

Check the OAL of your brass. If you're using mixed headstamp brass, you might find a variation. Add the difference between having the stations full vs. not, a dirty seating die, variation in the oal of the bullet itself, etc. and I guess you could easily see a difference of 10 thou between finished rounds.

It may sound like a stupid suggestion, but are you absolutely sure you're completing the upstroke of the ram with each pull of the lever? How sturdy is your bench? Are you calipers el cheapos or are they quality made? How tight is your crimp? What I'm getting at is---could it be possible that the rounds are falling into the bin and landing on the nose end of the bullet causing them to seat in a little?

Upstroke, Pretty sure but now I'm goint to be extra aware of it. The OAL of mixed brass is something I didn't think about. Crimp is .470 that's not an issue some are longer, not shorter. Thanks for the reminder's to not become complaicent when loading.