Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Keyholes

Venezuela

I was shooting my Beretta 92 - 9 mm with 135 gr. linotype (lead) bullets using 3.6 gr. Titegroup and was doing just fine. OAL was 1.160

I received some 120 gr. linotype bullets with .356 diameter which I loaded with 4.2 Titegroup, OAL 1.120. It felt quite good but I started to see 50% keyholes on the target.

I changed powder to WIN 231 and I've now tried 4.0 gr. WIN 231 and see no keyholes but the gun won't cycle correctly so I plan to try 4.2 gr. and 4.4 gr.

Have any of you experience with keyholes? Anybody have loads for 120 gr. linotype & WIN 231 or Titegroup?

Thanks in advance!

I sized some 130gr swc to 357 and had quite a few keyhole..Same bullet sized to 355 and no keyholes..

Seems strange that a couple of thousands would make such a difference.. It seems that the slightly heaver weight bullets don't work good in the 9mm.. Same bullets in the 38 super work just great.

Problem solved!

It was the crimp! I was crimping at .378 at the mouth of the case. I increased (less crimp) the crimp to .380 and no more keyholes.

I did hover break the locking block on my Beretta 92F. I already ordered the part from Numrich, about $60 with shipping.

1. Did you get a genuine Beretta LB?

2. How many rounds did the gun have before it broke?

3. How old is the gun?

Beretta has recently made changes to the LB to make them more durable...

SA

The gun is over 20 years old, however I have just recently begun to shoot significant quantities of ammo, total about 5,000 rounds in gun's life.

I did buy an original Beretta LB.

Do you have experience with broken locking blocks? If so, do you know what caused it?

My armor said it might be excessive loads (I reload my own ammo). I was using 120 gr. lead (linotype) bullets, 4.4 gr. of WIN 231, OAL = 1.120. Crimped to .380.

Thanks a lot guys, you've been very helpful.

I'm still confused with regards to this load for 9 mm:

120 gr. lead (linotype) bullets (.356), 4.4 gr. of WIN 231, OAL = 1.120. Crimped to .380.

The loading manuals I own have VERY wide ranges for these bullets: from 2.9 gr. to over 5.00 gr.

Is it possible that 4.4 gr. is too much?

Another doubt: I use Federal and Winchester Small Primers. Are these different enough that they might cause a significant change in pressure?

Thanks again!