Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

knowing and not applying

Chris iliff

Shot my first match of the season. Jacked up the last stage of the day. Bank of 3 targets behind a barricade (sheet of plywood on long edge). Two targets off each end at an angle maybe 15yards. So on the approach I shot the left most target at 15 yards and then started in on the left target behind the barricade. I'm just rolling along, 3 targets in a row 2 feet from the muzzle, you know the drill..... bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang......now the right target out 15 yards. Feel pretty good, get some attaboys and slaps on the back. RO starts scoring and I've got a "mike" on the last target in the array behind the barricade. A "mike" at two feet. I don't like "mikes" at any distance, but 2 feet is a killer. I have thought about the setup and am convinced I wasn't shooting in the moment and being aware. Replaying it in my mind I can see myself looking for that last target before finishing the 2 foot away target. I know this. But to back it up I only had to get to page 26 of Brian's book. Yep, I started to think at the end of the stage. The kicker for me is eventhough my time was about 3 seconds slower than the winner of the stage, I had him by 3 alpha's, 4 if I would have not been thinking. Anyways, you guys got anything for me? I'll take whatever you sling.

I'm going to say my EGO was in my way. Towards the end of the stage I knew I was burning it down. I started to "think" about the finish instead of just being in the moment and "aware". Thanks Flex, I needed to admit and say that, the prodding helped.

I'm going to say my EGO was in my way. Towards the end of the stage I knew I was burning it down. I started to "think" about the finish instead of just being in the moment and "aware". Thanks Flex, I needed to admit and say that, the prodding helped.

Thats good that you can figure that out on your own.

<_< 18 years from now & and 300 matches down the road,= MR Ego will still shoot the same crummy scores. leave that guy behind as soon as you can.

Ego's twin brother Mr Confidence can be helpful though.

<_< Ego stoll from me on the last target of a stage. And I drove 600 miles for the match

Also keep in mind that - every time you "re-learn" a lesson, it's because you never actually learned it.

There's very little we really know - the mind is tricky like that.

I've often wondered if the "relearning the same thing over and over" routine is a subtle trick of the ego - it allows the ego to keep "re-establishing" itself.

be

What's up with that ego, anyway ??

Who is it trying to impress?

It's like an external motivation...a focus on the outcome, instead of the execution... For what, to impress those around us? Do those around us really give a care? Nah. Seems like our ego is out to impress old #1

Validation? Lack of confidence? Lack of...trust in self...

Our ego seems like a high school teenager. Trying to fit in. To prove how cool it is. Afraid nobody likes him/her...when everybody else's ego is doing the same thing and couldn't care less about others.

All the time, the best we can ever hope to do is to put our energies into doing the right things...and doing them right. Figure out what is most fundamentals and execute.

Right on Flex! That's why I decided to continue to re-read Brian's book, and viola..... page 66. I was in a type 2 focus and didn't prepare for the dangers. "The tension you feel from trying to force the speed usually causes this shooting without seeing." Exactly what I did. I will be aware of this now and get a better index at the start. Also, I will combat the "glazed over" feeling by remaining aware.

As an aside: Some of Brian's book was way over my head a couple of years ago, and now I find myself in it, I'm glad I chose to re-read it.