Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magnum Small Rifle Primers

CJDOUBLETAP

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have used Federal small rifle, small pistol, and small pistol magnum primers in my .40 without any problems. When I was shooting 38Super, I used Federal small rifle and small pistol magnum primers w/o any problems.

They are no good. Send them to me and i will dispose of them for you :P:lol: just kidding.

They should be fine for the calibers you listed. They might net you a higher velocity but other than that, all should be good to go.

Also, I've been told small rifle primers are harder than small pistol primers and might not light off as easier. I haven't noticed any difference though so YMMV

Craig...tsk...tsk....the search function is your friend. ;) ...NO NO for steel loads.....think breech face erosion as there won't be enough pressure to seal the case and primer (rifle primer = thicker cup).

I can show you a breech face I have that is pitted from using high pressure load and small pistol primers.....same end result....

If those are wolfs I might be able to come up with a trade....... :cheers:

DougC

Doug,

I keep forgetting the majority of steel loads are minor or less than minor PF.

I'm too lazy to come up with a steel load so I just use my major pf loads. :P One load for everything. If I decide to really get into steel matches, i'll think about developing a load specifically for steel.