Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breaking Into The Sweet 16

Flexmoney

BTT

This thread came up when I was searching for something else...thought it might be a good idea to bump it to the top (BTT).

And to add to it...

I've had a chance to see some more of the top shooters (mostly videos).

Robbie is shooting sooner than just about anybody when coming into a position.

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTT

This thread came up when I was searching for something else...thought it might be a good idea to bump it to the top (BTT).

And to add to it...

I've had a chance to see some more of the top shooters (mostly videos).

Robbie is shooting sooner than just about anybody when coming into a position.

Here I am...searching for something else and finding this thread again. I read it all the way through. What great stuff. Most all of the guys posting in this thread from 2003 have moved up to the GM level since then.

Re-reading it now, one thing I notice that I didn't before is that people's perspectives/opinions seem to reflect their own experiences. It seems that what we seee as really important is something that we view as holding us back (our own personal weakness)...or something that we've deemed important and have dominated (our own personal strength).

Re-reading it now, one thing I notice that I didn't before is that people's perspectives/opinions seem to reflect their own experiences. It seems that what we seee as really important is something that we view as holding us back (our own personal weakness)...or something that we've deemed important and have dominated (our own personal strength).

Right. It's all right there in every word and thought. We express what we haven't resolved.

be

• 3 years later...

Solid gold stuff. Shows there really was a "before" - before Smitty could shoot on the move - are you kidding?

Don't shy away from the chance to shoot on super squads. Until you not only watch max, todd, blake, tilley, and all shoot your stage but they all stand arms folded watching YOU do it (and sometimes using your strategy & taking it up a notch) - until then you're just guessing how good these dudes are. You kick ass on two stages and they bury you on the other eight. Can't get that on a dvd.

If you have the time, money, skills, and desire, you go home and build up your tool box. And go at it again. It's all over this thread.

What really sticks out, still, is how not having the tools to confidently shoot the short-cut that you see the big dogs shoot - that hurts. It turns their 10-second stage into your 12.5 second stage. Same points, same splits, same trigger control, same vision, and you're toast.

I would say he learned how to shoot on the move!

Erik, I think you are right on Re: movement

I shot with the SS at the FL Open. Most of the match was wide open with shooting on the move available or there were many sweet spots you could go to and shoot a lot of targets.

If the targets are close I'm fine, but once they get farther out I don't have the confidence to shoot on the move. I can't seem to call my shots very well. So I would haul ass to the sweet spot and hose them down. Then the big boys would come behind me but by the time they got to the sweet spot they only had one target left to shoot because they shot them all on the way and got there almost as quick as I did.

I'm convinced that is the difference. To get to the "next" level you have to be able to shoot A's on 20-25 yd targets while on the move. That is the 10-20% difference in stage points.

Amazing to look at the old threads and read Shannon Smith talking about how he doesn't have 100% confidence in shooting on the move. Awesome stuff. I definitely think he worked that problem out. :goof:

Edited by alpha-charlie

BJ and Ron bring up accuracy. Now, I didn't do a big study of the scores (like I sometimes do), but the quick mental picture I had on the Limited Nationals was that Robbie tweaked his accuarcy on day three. As I recall, TJ did the same thing to win the 2002 Production title last year.

It seems to me that TDean is asking about speed. There is no way to know if TDean's theory on transitions holds water unless we know (by looking at the timer) what kind of transitions he is getting. Tom...is your shooting more bang..bang............bang..bang, or bang....bang....bang....bang?

Ron asked if TGO was faster or just more economical. From the little I have seen of TGO, David Sevigny, Chuck Bradley, etc...., they just seem to not waste any motion...and there is little lag time from one motion to the next. Others (GM's and Masters) aren't as economical.

Then there is Eric G. I have only seen him on his video. He doesn't look to me like he is super-smooth, or smokin'. But, he never stops moving...and he gets great hits. I think I remember Phil Strader saying the Eric G. pointed them to death at the Florida Open.

Then there is Blake M. and Matt Trout. When these guys are on...wow. They shoot the gun like it is on automatic, and they are just behind it steering. Hardly ever setting up in any solid postion. They remind me of a kid going at it in a full-auto, paint gun war. Charging thru the other teams stronghold with reckless abandon...except, they aren't reckless (though they might be on the edge. :) )

Yes. I have witnessed Matt on several occasions run through a stage with "reckless abandon". It seems like the bullets haven't even left the barrel yet and his eyes and body are moving on to the next target. He displays absolutely no wasted motion. No wasted time and fluid motion! Low ports, high ports, door activated double disappearing swingers, clam shells, texas stars, I just stand there wondering WTF! I have come to the conclusion that it's just a God given talent.