Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Rules Regarding Concealment Garments

Bongo Boy

After having read the latest rule book (a couple of times), I'm unclear about whether a concealment garment is required. No where in the rule book does it say you must where a concealment garment that conceals the weapon and magazines. It says when a concealment garment is worn, it must conceal the weapon...etc., etc. In addition, the whole concealment garment discussion is left under the Miscellaneous section of the appendix, which prefaces its content with "There are a number of items that could be used by the contestant." That tells me that the 3 listed items are optional.

So, is a concealment garment ever required, and if so, when and who decides?

Concealment garments are always worn by default when shooting IDPA matches; however...

If local laws don't permit concealing a weapon even if only for competition purposes, then it's not required.

(ETA: I think this was in the old rule book, but I may be wrong. It may have been something referenced in another thread on this forum or another.)

A concealment garment is never required when shooting the classifier.

COFs should required concealment garments by default, but if the scenario is such that you would not be wearing one anyway (e.g. laying in bed, sitting at desk with gun in drawer) then the COF can specify "no concealment required". Likewise, a stage designer / match directer can choose to not require concealment for standard exercises, or he can require it for standards. His choice.

But again, by default concealment garments are always worn when shooting IDPA matches, but don't have to be (shooter's option) when shooting the classifier.

ETA: Military and LEOs may shoot in their duty rigs with all equipment in place without concealment.

Edited by Steve J

Concealment garments are always worn by default when shooting IDPA matches; however...

If local laws don't permit concealing a weapon even if only for competition purposes, then it's not required.

A concealment garment is never required when shooting the classifier.

COFs should required concealment garments by default, but if the scenario is such that you would not be wearing one anyway (e.g. laying in bed, sitting at desk with gun in drawer) then the COF can specify "no concealment required". Likewise, a stage designer / match directer can choose to not require concealment for standard exercises, or he can require it for standards. His choice.

But again, by default concealment garments are always worn when shooting IDPA matches, but don't have to be (shooter's option) when shooting the classifier.

That's the sort of language I'd like to see in the Rule book. It would be hugely helpful for beginners to understand this. I'd like to take your comments and those of other folks who care to share them, and draft up what the Rule book content should be. Then, I'd hope to have this put in Appendix One as it's own section, pulling out any reference to concealment garments from the Miscellaneous section. In my view, at least, the Rule book contains nothing in it anywhere that remotely suggests what you've summarized. I'm sure it's no big deal for folks who've been doing it for a while, but it's also no big deal (to me) to get it codified in the Equipment appendix.

There is absolutely nothing in the Rule Book requiring that IDPA matches be shot while wearing a concealing garment. In the early years of my local IDPA club, actually they left whether or not to go concealed up to the option of the individual shooter. Eventually they did make concealment mandatory, however.

There is absolutely nothing in the Rule Book requiring that IDPA matches be shot while wearing a concealing garment. In the early years of my local IDPA club, actually they left whether or not to go concealed up to the option of the individual shooter. Eventually they did make concealment mandatory, however.

Right you are. It is a course of fire guidline CoF 13. Use concealment for scenario stages when appropriate. Exception: Police or military officers when using actual duty gear. but it has become a de facto requirement in practice because the overwhelming majority of courses of fire do require concealment.

Our club matches the course of fire tells you if concealment is required or not. It's pretty simple match director makes the call. Either use it or not. As a practical matter "scenario" stages almost always require concealment. Shooting skill or trick stages do not.

That's what we do.

Boats

]That's the sort of language I'd like to see in the Rule book. It would be hugely helpful for beginners to understand this. I'd like to take your comments and those of other folks who care to share them, and draft up what the Rule book content should be

You might also post rule book suggestions on the UNOFFICIAL rule chat forum.

I didn't get a chance to see any of the responses that have been deleted, but I certainly didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest here, and I'm not in any way complaining about any rules. I'm only trying to understand what some of them are. Also, I don't expect the Rule book to be perfect, but I do feel there shouldn't be any hesitation on any members' part to submit recommended language changes. While I'm sure only a rank beginner would have much interest in the rule book, still, there's lots of room for improvement--reloads would be another topic area that's far more confusing that it needs to be, IMO.

This particular topic (garments) came up after watching a youtube vid taken at the Nationals (2007?), where I noticed the shooter(s) had no concealment garment, in sharp contrast to the back cover of the rule book, where all shooters are wearing vests.

Based on the comments made in this thread, my 'solution' is to buy a vest and stick it in the range bag, and always practice with it, at least. Problem solved.

I've not seen any numbered COF guidelines (see reference to 'CoF 13' above). Where are these? Oh, and thanks for pointing me to the unofficial rules thing.

I didn't get a chance to see any of the responses that have been deleted, but I certainly didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest here, and I'm not in any way complaining about any rules. I'm only trying to understand what some of them are. Also, I don't expect the Rule book to be perfect, but I do feel there shouldn't be any hesitation on any members' part to submit recommended language changes. While I'm sure only a rank beginner would have much interest in the rule book, still, there's lots of room for improvement--reloads would be another topic area that's far more confusing that it needs to be, IMO.

This particular topic (garments) came up after watching a youtube vid taken at the Nationals (2007?), where I noticed the shooter(s) had no concealment garment, in sharp contrast to the back cover of the rule book, where all shooters are wearing vests.

Based on the comments made in this thread, my 'solution' is to buy a vest and stick it in the range bag, and always practice with it, at least. Problem solved.

I've not seen any numbered COF guidelines (see reference to 'CoF 13' above). Where are these? Oh, and thanks for pointing me to the unofficial rules thing.

Bongo Boy, the row and moderation had absolutely nothing to do with anything you posted or asked.

The Course of Fire Rules start on page 12 of the rule book and are numbered CoF 1 - CoF 22.