Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

11lb Recoil Spring for M&P40

Cy Soto

Is anyone here using (or have used) an 11lb recoil spring in an M&P40 (shooting minor loads)? I know that most shooters will recommend using a 13lb spring for this application but I am curious to know if there is any reason why you wouldn't go lighter.

Cy, trust me I am no expert by a long way. But I have seen posts concerning going too light and causing a lot of beating up of the gun parts. Also I have seen talk of the gun coming out of battery with too light of a spring causing a FTF. I am sure you will get some replies along those lines.

I think there could be a concern about the gun unlocking prematurely enabling a FTE. I would think that way because I am having FTE, but I sure would try it and see. Or, I would encourage you to try it and see how you do. ;)

Just out of curiosity I went out yesterday and tried an 11#. Out of 6 rounds fired two failed to go completely into battery causing a very light and slightly off center striker ding. I re chambered the rounds and they fired after ensuring the slide was completely forward. Another note the gun seemed to flip slightly more than the 13# spring, I'm assuming because the spring is to light and the slide is hitting. I stopped there and installed the 13# WAY better... the gun returns better and to point of aim faster than the 11# or the original.

hope that helps

I am running the 11# in mine for minor loads, and have been for over a year without a single issue. When shooting major, I go back to the 15#. The felt recoil impulse is noticeably different between the two. I have put approximately 9K of major and minor loads through this pistol and am pretty sure I have the kinks worked out. .

Cy - I did a bunch of testing with tungsten and stainless guide rods and different spring weights, and settled on the 13# with a stainless rod (M&P9). The 11# took longer to settle after shots (the muzzle "bouncing", if you know what I mean).

I thought the 11# would be better (running a 10# in my Limited gun), but the 13# was definitely faster and more controllable (Bill drills).

-Morgan FY51526

Edited by Morgan

Cy - I did a bunch of testing with tungsten and stainless guide rods and different spring weights, and settled on the 13# with a stainless rod (M&P9). The 11# took longer to settle after shots (the muzzle "bouncing", if you know what I mean).

I thought the 11# would be better (running a 10# in my Limited gun), but the 13# was definitely faster and more controllable (Bill drills).

-Morgan FY51526

Morgan,

Which tungsten rod where you using?

-Morgan FY51526

After waiting, for what seem like an eternity, for primers to arrive in the mail and receiving them yesterday afternoon, I put together some 40 minor loads and took the M&P to the range to try them out. I ran them with the factory recoil spring and I also tried the 11# and the 13# with a steel guide rod .

I agree with you 100% that the best spring for the job is the 13#. The 15# factory spring works fine (even locking the slide back after the last shot) but it feels as if it's tracking in slow motion. The 11# was faster but, once again you explained it well, the front sight does a little wobble when it returns. I did not notice much of a difference in the feel of the recoil impulse between the 11# and 13# springs at 135PF (which turned out to be the load I liked the most).