Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Nationals

bbbean

With 20 stages and a 262 minimum round count, I'm assuming the SSN doesn't have a lot of 32 round field stages, but I also can't imagine they're all stand and shoot 13 rounders. What have the stages looked like at previous matches? What should I be practicing?

Edited by bbbean

Typical short/medium courses. Quick gun handeling, short movement between arrays. Most shots will be fairly easy, with a few distance/hard shots to check out the accuracy element.

Additionally you will probably see some fairly short movement long courses. Not the shoot and puke type, but a few yards of running and movement.

The SSN/SSC is a lot about gun handling.

If long-standing tradition holds again this year, the stages will be no more than 24 rounds. There will be a standards with strong/weak hand shooting. There will be one stage that is all steel. The stages will all be 8-round-friendly, and fairly simple--you won't have to do a whole lot of thinking to analyze them. (This is actually my least favorite aspect of the match. I wish they would set up more challenging field stages that would allow multiple avenues of attack, instead of dumbing it down to make it easy to shoot with an 8-rounder.)

What should I be practicing?

Reloads, for sure! :roflol:

That goes without saying! At the end of each practice session, I'm running a couple of "glorified Bill Drills" by loading up 7 mags (one in gun and 6 on belt) and shooting 2, reload, 2, reload, 2 reload, etc. until I get to the last mag. I throw in a couple of 7 round mags so that the third time through I get a couple of slide locks, and the 4th time through every reload is a slide lock. I'm guaging my performance based on my over all speed, the smoothness of each reload, and whether the target has a basketball sized pattern or a softball sized hole.

While I agree with Gary, we have added a couple of more long style courses. The goal of this match is test your skills with a full power handgun, not who is the latest track star. There will be more moving targets than last year. Mostly swingers and turners. Largest round count is 21 rounds. This is based on the concept from the beginning of this match that it can be shot with no more than 4 mags.

We have tried to follow a unwritten rule that we only have 7 shots from a position if there is steel. This allows a shooter to fire one extra round and not go to slide lock with 8 round mags.

We also assume it is going to rain, so we try to limit movement and have rarely ever had a true prone stage. The one year we did it rained during the staff match.

BTW: The box is on order, Gary is bring his and we will have two scales so don't end up in Open due to lack of preparedness. Hint, hint. :devil:

Jay

We have tried to follow a unwritten rule that we only have 7 shots from a position if there is steel. This allows a shooter to fire one extra round and not go to slide lock with 8 round mags.

Jay, you softie, you. LOL :roflol: