Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

extractor tuning

Bigpops

Started shooting my new Trojan (9mm). After 100 rounds or so I started having problems with shell extraction - there wasn't any. Removed the extractor and slightly re-bent it. Everything was great for about another 100 rounds and then back to "failure to extract". Performed another tweak and ran 50 rounds through it without a hiccup.

Shot a local IDPA match on Sunday. Very first stage...you guessed it. Looked like a monkey on a football.

I have been told I should heat the extractor and bend, this way it will hold its shape. Does this have merit? I performed a search but no joy on this topic.

Thanks,

BP

PS

A new extractor is on its way from STI (no charge)

Sounds like the extractor you have has a heat treatment problem and won't hold its bend.

Normally they are very springy and won't lose their bend so easy.

Hope that the new one will work better.

//Fredrik

Your correct. My buddy received his pistol a few days after mine...same problem.

Aftac... Be done with this problem and get TWO Aftac's fitted to the gun.

Are they pretty much a drop in and shoot or do they require tweaking also?

They need to be fitted to the gun. Pretty much just fitting them to the firing pin stop. I ran just a regular extractor in my edge until it took a dump on me in the middle of a match. Had it replaced with an Aftac and had a second one fitted for a spare at the same time. That sucker flings the brass now.

Aftac... Be done with this problem and get TWO Aftac's fitted to the gun.

Are they pretty much a drop in and shoot or do they require tweaking also?

They need to be fitted to the gun. Pretty much just fitting them to the firing pin stop. I ran just a regular extractor in my edge until it took a dump on me in the middle of a match. Had it replaced with an Aftac and had a second one fitted for a spare at the same time. That sucker flings the brass now.

Thanks. Will look into that

I was mostly wondering about the heating of the extractor. I was given that advice and am curious if it holds true.

I wouldn't. I would get one that's properly heat treated from the beginning.

If it won't last 100 rounds with even a dead soft extractor it is probably push feeding and snapping the extractor over the rim. Do check it and make sure it is not, if it is no extractor will hold up.

If it won't last 100 rounds with even a dead soft extractor it is probably push feeding and snapping the extractor over the rim. Do check it and make sure it is not, if it is no extractor will hold up.

I truly do appreciate your advice...it just went over my head though! :surprise: How do I check for push feeding? If it is, how do I correct that?

Minor point, but it's an AFTEC not an Aftac :)

It's pretty simple to radius the corners on the firing pin stop and double check that the nose isn't contacting the barrel when the slide is closed. That's pretty much all it takes to fit them. They do tend to be oversized where they stick out the back of the slide (longer) but that's purely cosmetic. A couple of minutes with my belt sander and then polishing with a Dremel fixed that right up. R,

I truly do appreciate your advice...it just went over my head though! :surprise: How do I check for push feeding? If it is, how do I correct that?

With the slide locked back put a mag with a dummy round in the gun, pull the slide back and ease it forward. The round should slide up under the extractor hook as it's being stripped off the mag. If it's push feeding the round will be in front of the extractor. I'd also try closing the slide (empty) seat a mag with a dummy round in the gun and then rack the slide and stop it halfway forward. Look to see if the round is under the extractor or not. Also, you might be able to see brass smears on the nose of the extractor if it's push feeding. R,

Minor point, but it's an AFTEC not an Aftac :)

It's pretty simple to radius the corners on the firing pin stop and double check that the nose isn't contacting the barrel when the slide is closed. That's pretty much all it takes to fit them. They do tend to be oversized where they stick out the back of the slide (longer) but that's purely cosmetic. A couple of minutes with my belt sander and then polishing with a Dremel fixed that right up. R,

Thanks G-man!

I just finished writing "AFTEC" on the board 100 times! :cheers:

With the slide locked back put a mag with a dummy round in the gun, pull the slide back and ease it forward. The round should slide up under the extractor hook as it's being stripped off the mag. If it's push feeding the round will be in front of the extractor. I'd also try closing the slide (empty) seat a mag with a dummy round in the gun and then rack the slide and stop it halfway forward. Look to see if the round is under the extractor or not. Also, you might be able to see brass smears on the nose of the extractor if it's push feeding. R,

Gotcha! Thanks for all of that. I will try it after work. Now, the million dollar question....what if it is push feeding? What do I do to fix it?

I may be completely wrong about this... but my understanding of push feeding, as its being called here, is that its a failure on the part of the magazine to control the round? It lets the round pop free before its firmly between the feed ramp and the breechface? And, its just a matter of luck/timing that you're not getting a jam in this condition?

I may be completely wrong about this... but my understanding of push feeding, as its being called here, is that its a failure on the part of the magazine to control the round? It lets the round pop free before its firmly between the feed ramp and the breechface? And, its just a matter of luck/timing that you're not getting a jam in this condition?

Great news Thanks...you just ruined my lunch! :roflol:

Well it does it with the stock STI mag and my new Tripp mags. This could be fun!

Hello: Make sure the extractor tip is not hitting the barrel. It may be bending the extractor back so it will not extract. I would not heat the extractor unless you plan on heat treating it again. I use a black felt tip marker to check if the extractor is touching the barrel. I put the black mark on the barrel. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Make sure the extractor tip is not hitting the barrel. It may be bending the extractor back so it will not extract. I would not heat the extractor unless you plan on heat treating it again. I use a black felt tip marker to check if the extractor is touching the barrel. I put the black mark on the barrel. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

It sure does help...I will check it out! Thanks!