Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small frame Tanfoglio

Jody Waring

Our Tanfoglio supplier in Canada has them. The safety came from Henning, when he was at our Nationals, he was showing me his match guns and had his parts bag out and says "have one of these?" I said no, and he hooked me up with it and a few other items, what a great guy! I designed my magwell off of how EGW does their's but rather than a horseshoe, I made it a closed front and TIG welded it onto the frame. I just need to get a racker- GLK21C, is that a sidewinder on yours? Much work to get it to fit the dovetail? Thanks to you too Mo, you got me out of a bind as well. Will order up a new sear soon to get that beautiful trigger pull they give.

Yes, Sidewinder racker that I had Jim Anglin install for me. How much fitting he had to do I have no idea. It's a ball-detent installation so easy on and easy off, but yet you can fire the gun all day and it never slides out on it's own. It's awesome. A friend of mine had the same setup on his Bedell open gun that Dan Bedell installed and I knew right then I had to get me one of those.

Can you get me the suppliers contact info about that mag release you have, thanks

Edited by Glk21C

Not as fancy as your guys' V8's or V12's, but a homebuilt blaster in 9x21 that I can't wait to get out and try. Snowing again, so looks like I have more time to do detailing :angry2:

I don’t see it as less fancy at all!! Great job!! You even did it your self. I wish I had your tools and abilities. Seriously, I am in to other sports as well and I’m telling you, guns has to be the one field with less technical development in the world. Nothing has really happened the last hundred years?

….I know you have a lot of experience with this design (cz,p9) so tell us a little about the setup. Why 9X21? Isn’t it easier with 9x19? And the holes, why that many and what size? Why at all? How does it affect the handling of the gun? Is the barrel strait or cone?

……………the magwell you could put into production, very impressive.

Not as fancy as your guys' V8's or V12's, but a homebuilt blaster in 9x21 that I can't wait to get out and try. Snowing again, so looks like I have more time to do detailing :angry2:

I don’t see it as less fancy at all!! Great job!! You even did it your self. I wish I had your tools and abilities. Seriously, I am in to other sports as well and I’m telling you, guns has to be the one field with less technical development in the world. Nothing has really happened the last hundred years?

….I know you have a lot of experience with this design (cz,p9) so tell us a little about the setup. Why 9X21? Isn’t it easier with 9x19? And the holes, why that many and what size? Why at all? How does it affect the handling of the gun? Is the barrel strait or cone?

……………the magwell you could put into production, very impressive.

The barrel is the "straight type." 9x21 because it was a good buy at the time hehe.. I have a P9 Open gun that I use in 9x21 so it was sensible at the time. I will in the near future have a 9x19 top for sure. The ports well I hate to admit but I was fascinated with trying it and I had ported my P9 barrel and it worked pretty good. Next time around if I do port it I will start with 1-2 holes and go from there. I find the recoil of the P9 is straight back and harsh but as flat as can be possible I think. I am not fully convinced the trade off is worth it or not, it didn't flip much before but recoiled much softer. The mount is a "Relic Custom" from Oz, I don't even know if they are in business anymore. All internals thus far are Tanfoglio including the old school straight trigger which I found (2 of) from a shooter who used to deal in EAA back a number of years ago. Hammer and sear are from a Limited Custom- thanks Mo! magwell is all me, and that's about it. I haven't done any detail work yet, just want to see if it is going to work. Thanks for the compliments!

thank you,..that 10rd mag is one of the 5 I took to the USA,...wanted to make sure I made it back with no border issues. It worked 100%,..but did not lock back..when empty,.which is no biggie as I used it as my top up mag and fourth mag on my belt. Have you done anything to your extractors? Did you do anything to them by way of trimming or something similiar to Hennings advice for 38rimless.?

Extractors in my experience last a long time. In my old P9 I have changed it once in all the years I have had it. It didnt break,, just worn a fair amount and I actually wouldn't hesitate using it for a spare. As far as tuning them, I haven't had to do anything. Rimless .38 can be used by simply using a 9mm extractor, I believe I asked Grauffel this a number of years ago when I was considering switching to that caliber. The only thing I can ever remember doing to a factory Tanfo extractor if I recall correctly is removing a bur that was left from the factory. I keep several spares- sounds ironic for guy who says they don't need to be changed hehe... and I actually have a CZ one I have modified to use and it works 100% One thing I would like to mention is that before Henning came along, anyone who had been using this platform was on their own for the most part if they needed odds and ends, especially in Canada before we got a distributor, so thanks to Henning for supporting us! One was forced to use mix matched parts, make & modify existing stuff. It was a difficult stretch with no supply. This has since changed and there is a re-discovery of these guns by many, almost how they popped up on the scene in the early '90's and they were everywhere. They are an excellent choice, easy to work on and modify. I really enjoy them, and maybe will break down one of these days and buy a new Gold Custom,... but then again I wouldn't have fun building another as it would be all done for me!

9x21, I love the pics! Reminds me of the first P9 I had way back when. I must report that I made it to the range today - had to trek thru the snow, and the home built blaster performed 100%Took a few rounds to get the proper spring to cycle it, and managed to get about another 200 rounds thru it flawlessly! The blast shield looks like it is taking a beating, I think my furthest rear barrel port is too close to the mount, I'll keep an eye on it as I go along. I tried 3 different major loads and it ate them up perfectly, tracked nice and flip was minimal. Brass looked excellent, no pressure signs, no extraction issues or FTF. I am going to have to work on the trigger as I fired my other gun after, and it made the new gun feel like it had a tonne of pull weight. Other than that, a good overall experience.

I have used quite a few combinations, but have always been a fan of HS6, and also am enjoying using Longshot, its awesome in these things! Tried HS7,7625, 3N37... and many others but always came back to HS6 for a fool proof powder that seems to perform really well in this caliber and is easly to get. Longshot is looking like it might be taking HS6's spot in my Dillon powder measurer, it's pretty loud, but I find it makes alot of gas which equals to good pressure to work the comp, and I don't find it very dirty.

Tha sounds right,

I still have a fair amount of WW540 same as HS-6.

My favorite too!

Also used 4756, filled to the top with a 115......back in the old days of 175PF

Now it 125 zero & 540

I remember 9.1 of 540, 1.155" and a Winchester 124 fmj and it was a sweet flat shooting load. I think this was the "old standby" everyone pretty much used in the P9 days. When the weather gets better, I am going to spend some time at the range with the chrono and work with Longshot and hopefully I can get a load that works well in both guns. I have quite a supply of it, so hopefully it pans out. Is that a sidewinder racker on your gun? seems all the Tanfo guys are using them. I'll have to pick one up and give it a try.

Yes, that is a sidewinder. just recently added....

I sure wish we had them back in the day. Those Huening recoil springs were tough to pull back on!

I must have been a lot stronger in 1992!