Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just called Hornady about retrofitting my "old" LnL - there&

Just called Hornady about retrofitting my "old" LnL - there's a kit.

Hornady does not need to get our old presses back to retrofit them. They do need us to send back our old shell plates, though.

The retrofit kit costs 29.95, no shipping and handling fee, they'll eat that. I said, send it, she took my credit card # (when I send the shell plates, she'll just charge it to the card, also.

I remarked to her that I thought we were going to have to send the press back and she said, Nope, we got another way - it lets you do it yourself. Sure beats the $100 I thought I was going to have to spend. Hope it works - probably will, knowing Hornady.

A call to Hornady is required - to order the kit and to get a return authorization number for the shells plates - which still cost $10 each the retrofit for the EZeject.

Here it is:

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?...1220d38cb988631b370e

Hack

Edited by Hack

...And Hornady is going to exchange my #1 plate for a new #45 plate at zero cost. I hadn't used it, still brand new in the wrapper but they aren't even charging me the cutting fee. Gotta love Hornady's customer service! :cheers:

20nickels, do you happen to have any estimate as to how long it takes Hornady to modify the shellplates and send them back? I sent in my shellplates and they were delivered to Hornady on March 17, 2009. I had the RA number on the mailing label and on a letter inside.

I didn't ask before I sent the shellplates, because I inquired by email, and the response time on emails was 13 days. I just sent the shellplates off, rather than wait another 13 days, and I don't know what to expect in the way of a wait.

I sent my #1 shellplate for modification, along with the others. Do they exchange that for a #45 automatically, or will I have to take some other action to get a #45?

Jim M.

I called and talked to Hornady last Friday, the 20th. The lady I talked to on the phone told me 2 to 3 weeks on the shell plates. I've read that's what they've told others on a different forum. I highly doubt they'd just automatically exchange the #1 plate for the 45 plate. The #1 plate is for a large range of calibers. They would have no way of knowing what you use it for if you don't talk to them. That's one of the reasons I called.

Thanks for the information, SLM.

I load several other calibers that use the #1 shellplate, but I use that plate mostly for .45 ACP. I guess I will wait and see how that shellplate works for the .45 on the new press.

Is the #45 shellplate also better for the other calibers? Anyone know?

Jim M.

From what I've been reading the #1 plate will work with the new system but not always or well sometimes. From what I've been able to gather it's too loose on .45 cases and they'll get up over the ejection tab. The #45 plate is sized for .45ACP brass specifically from what I gather. Hornady only lists it for .45ACP on the shell plate chart and they've removed .45ACP from the description under the #1 plate. The chart can be found HERE. I suggest giving them a call and see what they say about the plates. They've always been very helpful when I've called.

Using the #1 for 45ACP will make you either start drinking... or start drinking more..... I have to manually ensure that the casings hit the sizing die with the #1....

Edited by bubbadoc

20nickels, do you happen to have any estimate as to how long it takes Hornady to modify the shellplates and send them back? I sent in my shellplates and they were delivered to Hornady on March 17, 2009. I had the RA number on the mailing label and on a letter inside.

I didn't ask before I sent the shellplates, because I inquired by email, and the response time on emails was 13 days. I just sent the shellplates off, rather than wait another 13 days, and I don't know what to expect in the way of a wait.

I sent my #1 shellplate for modification, along with the others. Do they exchange that for a #45 automatically, or will I have to take some other action to get a #45?

Jim M.

Sorry for the lATE REPLY. I agree with everything SLM said.

Using the #1 for 45ACP will make you either start drinking... or start drinking more..... I have to manually ensure that the casings hit the sizing die with the #1....

I have used the Dillon size die that is specified for auto indexing presses with a #45 shell plate. Even then to get them perfectly sized all the way down you will need to size again or use a Lee FCD. The Dillon does fix the brass smashing problen though

Edited by 20nickels

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up the plates and sub plate assembly yesterday. Unfortunately I will not get to test anything for some time now as I don't need to change calibers. Will take in the #45 plate when I'm all loaded up.

Just picked up the plates and sub plate assembly yesterday. Unfortunately I will not get to test anything for some time now as I don't need to change calibers. Will take in the #45 plate when I'm all loaded up.

Please let us know how it does.

Hack

glad to see we don't have to send the press back. Will be ordering the retro-fit kit tomorrow.

Be prepared to wait. I ordered my subplate and #45 shell plate the second of March. Got the shellplate a week and a half ago, but no subplate yet.