Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard Chrome

olp73

If some one feels the urge to explain me the basic around hard chroming.

1. How is it done? Just the basic. :)

2. How tick is it typically? Does it affect the tolerances much?

3. Can it be removed? (……and then blued again) and reapplied?

4. Can a hard chromed gun be worked on? Stoned, drilled? If so, will the chrome flake?

5. I have noticed that chromed guns are very different in “color” some has a glass bead blasted, kind of flat finish, others has a polished look. Is this done to the chrome itself, or is it different kind of chrome, or the chrome just looks different on different surfaces?

6. And last, will a chromed gun be a lot more resistant to nicks and scratches and how “stainless” is it really?

Let me offer some advice from the school of hard knocks......

Do not try to clean your hard chromed compensator with a Hydrogen peroxide and vinegar mixture and leave it in the solution for the time it takes to make a "QUICK SANDWICH", or you won't have to worry about the satin finish of your hard chrome on your comp again, because it won't be there..... :surprise:

Don't ask how I know, let me just say this, Benny Hill is getting it re-chromed for me.

Jerry

If some one feels the urge to explain me the basic around hard chroming.

1. How is it done? Just the basic. :)

2. How tick is it typically? Does it affect the tolerances much?

3. Can it be removed? (……and then blued again) and reapplied?

4. Can a hard chromed gun be worked on? Stoned, drilled? If so, will the chrome flake?

5. I have noticed that chromed guns are very different in “color” some has a glass bead blasted, kind of flat finish, others has a polished look. Is this done to the chrome itself, or is it different kind of chrome, or the chrome just looks different on different surfaces?

6. And last, will a chromed gun be a lot more resistant to nicks and scratches and how “stainless” is it really?

OK, you asked for the basics.

1. prep/degrease parts, electro-plating process.

2. 0.0005' to 0.001", depends, could help a sloppy fit, lock a tight fit.

3.Yes, Yes, Yes.

4. Yes, Yes, flake? Not if plated right.

5.Yes, No, Yes. Hard Chrome will not hide a bad surface/scratches.

6.Yes, Yes, better than orginal stainless steal parts.

For details see Steve J's link.

MDA

Looking to hard chrome STI pistol, I don't know where to start as far as companies that chrome pistols & do a great job. If I'm going to do this I'll pay the money just need some good contacts, Thanks!

Read the thread. Check out the links people have posted. Those are the best.

If you are not absolutely sure that you have the gun the way you want it...don't get a hard finish applied to it. Just shoot it "in the white", blued, phoso-finished, or with any of the bake on finishes.