Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Computer Ram Question

This computer has been around for a bit. It has a iG Celeron processor.

It now has 128MB of RAM.

The current Ram is P133.

It takes up one slot of two.

I went out to get more RAM and picked up a 256MB SDRAM module, but it is PC100...not P133.

Can i use this, or should I return it? Can I add it to the 128MB's of P133?

Ok this is kinda of a tricky question, but here goes my attempt to answer it.

Most PC's thatuse PC133 bus ram will use PC100 but that chip has to go in the primary slot, Having a PC133 chip in the second slot following a Chip that is necking down your bus in the first slot, I am not sure what would happen, It wouldnt hurt the PC at worst case your PC would not start up. But were it me, If you really plan on using the 256 chip you bought I would put it in first slot and not use the 128 chip put it away for later. Or you could go buy PC133 256k chip at a added cost and put it in the first slot with your 128 in the second slot, I do not know what programs you use, but short of playing a online game like EQ or DAOC or something I would not see the need for more than 256k of ram. I personally use 256k of ram, I came upon a game i wanted to play recently that required 512k I opted not to run out and buy 256 more k and just do something else like buy brass to reload. In Summary you PC will run the PC100 chip even though it is a PC133 Board. you just want realize the full potential of your Board is all. If you are a Rocket scientist I would advise against it. If you are just a Net junkie like me then it will be fine and you should still see a marked improvment in your everyday use. Hope this helps a little. Slohand

John,

I agree with you --- I'm running the same thing, but my last computer (of roughly the vintage of Kyle's) topped out at 512MB of ram. Not much sense in putting in more memory than the motherboard can handle....

I'm hoping for 1 gig RAM modules by early next year....