Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The current state of our sport.

B.Reid

I've got about enough brass to get me to West point 2-gun. After that who knows. I've got powder (had to switch from TG to HS6) and primers

I've got a local smith building me an open gun. I told him to take his time As I can't find any 125/124 9mm zeros.

I've got about enough brass to get me to West point 2-gun. After that who knows. I've got powder (had to switch from TG to HS6) and primers

I've got a local smith building me an open gun. I told him to take his time As I can't find any 125/124 9mm zeros.

The more you network, the better deals you will find.

Local mom & pop stores are taking advantage of the situation.

My builder finds deals for all of his clients and orders in bulk.

FM

Another point to bear in mind: the firearms industry, as a whole, is relatively small. There is no way even the largest of firearms or ammunition manufacturers can respond to a doubling of business overnight...let alone the overnight super surge in demand we are presently witnessing. Also, a lot of people are quick to forget the shortages of certain calibers from certain manufacturers over the past four or five years. We have seen sporadic, 60 to 90 day, shortages of most popular calibers and a few firearm types since 2005. What we see today is a magnification of all those short term shortages.

All very valid points. People are buying guns in record numbers right now, which SHOULD translate to increased match activity at some point, to a degree.

But the general comments of "this primer/brass/lead shortage or jacked up current pricing hasn't affected me at all, I shoot just as much as before" may hold true for some... but don't hold true for all. I'm on a limited budget now for shooting, and where I used to practice a couple times per month, plus several monthly matches, shooting maybe 15K or 20K rounds per year...... now I shoot 1 local match per month, maybe 1 major, and don't practice live fire anymore. I'd wager I shoot less than 4 or 5K rounds this year. The consumable costs of competing have skyrocketed (try shooting lost brass 3-gun!).

So, yes, these prices have affected me - and I have been shooting USPSA since 1994. I just hope the casual new gun owner that does not reload (who we drawn into our sport quite frequently) will have the chance to get HOOKED and start reloading before they just walk away due to soaring ammo prices.

You can't walk into an Academy or Walmart around here and buy bulk ammo packages - its not on the shelves.... the smaller gun stores are almost out of most popular pistol calibers, and what they do have is very limited in selection and $25 or $30 a box now. I know THEORETICALLY this lack of supply is temporary.... but I think the prices are here to stay. When is the last time you saw anything ammo related go down in retail price? :ph34r:

Edited by sfinney

I just hope the casual new gun owner that does not reload (who we drawn into our sport quite frequently) will have the chance to get HOOKED and start reloading before they just walk away due to soaring ammo prices.
Another observation of mine. Those that have been shooters for a while, but used only factory ammo, are now buying reloading equipment. The number of posts in the reloading sections of a couple other forums I frequent has exploded. 80% of those are newbie basic questions. Including some scary ones like "Can I use small pistol primers in .223? I can't find small rifle primers."

Cost containment is an issue that each shooter has to figure out for themselves. There is no one answer. The new gun owner is still figuring out the basics and reloading isn't on the map yet. When (not if) he gets hooked on the sport he will see as most of do that reloading is a necessary part of the sport. USPSA being the ammo intensive sport it is lends itself to the reloading hobby.

Shooting is still an inexpensive sport compared to many others. For $1000 you can get a Tupperware 9mm, holster, mag pouches, a couple extra mags, 3 boxes of Blazer and be ready to compete in Production. Next month to compete it's another 3 boxes of Blazer plus $20 entry fees. Under $75. Step it up and practice once in between matches and another 3 boxes of Blazer is under $50. Dirt cheap compare to other pursuits.

Edited by Hank Ellis

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to hear more from the international shooters.

What would happen to our sport if we only get a small allowance of ammo per year? (Some countries are like that)

What would happen if they start taxing ammo? Fill out forms for ammo?

What would happen if the EPA decides that we cant use lead anymore?

How are shooters in different countries dealing with more restrictions?

• 1 month later...
I just hope the casual new gun owner that does not reload (who we drawn into our sport quite frequently) will have the chance to get HOOKED and start reloading before they just walk away due to soaring ammo prices.
Another observation of mine. Those that have been shooters for a while, but used only factory ammo, are now buying reloading equipment. The number of posts in the reloading sections of a couple other forums I frequent has exploded. 80% of those are newbie basic questions. Including some scary ones like "Can I use small pistol primers in .223? I can't find small rifle primers."

Cost containment is an issue that each shooter has to figure out for themselves. There is no one answer. The new gun owner is still figuring out the basics and reloading isn't on the map yet. When (not if) he gets hooked on the sport he will see as most of do that reloading is a necessary part of the sport. USPSA being the ammo intensive sport it is lends itself to the reloading hobby.

Shooting is still an inexpensive sport compared to many others. For $1000 you can get a Tupperware 9mm, holster, mag pouches, a couple extra mags, 3 boxes of Blazer and be ready to compete in Production. Next month to compete it's another 3 boxes of Blazer plus $20 entry fees. Under $75. Step it up and practice once in between matches and another 3 boxes of Blazer is under $50. Dirt cheap compare to other pursuits.

+1.