Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer tube detonation - ceiling damage?

Years ago a friend had his set up in a little tin storage shed

He blew up the primer tube...and it put a nice 2'' hole in the tin roof :surprise:

I think ANY extra measure of safety...reguardless of low risk, would be worth your time.

When it involves a suspected risk to your kids....I bet that plywood is just not too hard to put up :rolleyes:

Jim

I have had 2 winchester primers go off in my 650 and not set off the primer tube.

About a year ago I was loading with Federal primers and set the tube off. Scared the crap out of me. No extra pressure was applied to the handel when they went off. Before they went off I noticed a yellowish powder around the primer disc are. Primer compound ?.

I was unlucky to get a batch of bad primers and one set of the whole tube. One hell of a "BOOOM"!!! The biggest part of the primer follower rod was the ring that activate the buzzer. See the pictures. It went through my inner roof but did not go through the outer roof.

It did give me a slight tinitus.

post-1970-1255459364_thumb.jpg

post-1970-1255459373_thumb.jpg

so does dillon take care of the broken parts? do they have a oops blew a primer tube kit for sale incase one goes off and you need to crank out the rounds? any other pics of machine damage? does most of the damage go up because of the steel tube? _chris

When I set off the tube in my 650, I called Dillon to buy the parts that were broken. They told me I needed the entire primer system and it was no charge!! I even told them It was not the machine that was defective. Got to love Dillon. That is why I have so many I guess.

Daaaannnng!!! Knock on wood I haven’t had a primer go off on me.

I guess I really need to start using my safety glasses and ear protection.

Is there any other cause other than forcing the primer to seat to make it go during reloading that I need to be aware of?

Thomas

...Before they went off I noticed a yellowish powder around the primer disc are. Primer compound ?...

Lead styphnate, the explosive compound in standard primers, is yellow.

Every few thousand rounds, I run alcohol soaked patches through the primer tube, the pick-up tubes, and also wipe down the rest of the priming mechanism and the flip tray as well. The pads end up very yellow from the styphnate, which, I understand, is toxic and can be absorbed through your skin.

...I guess I really need to start using my safety glasses and ear protection.

Is there any other cause other than forcing the primer to seat to make it go during reloading that I need to be aware of?...

I have heard (but only second/third hand, since I don't use them) that Federal primers can be sensitive to the point of going off just being dropped from the p/u tube into the primer tube. I really don't know whether that's real or not. :unsure:

so does dillon take care of the broken parts? do they have a oops blew a primer tube kit for sale incase one goes off and you need to crank out the rounds? any other pics of machine damage? does most of the damage go up because of the steel tube? _chris

Same for me I wrote Dillon an email ordering new parts but they sent them free of charge, that is service beyond any obligation. I only needed the primer tube, primer follower and the plastic arm that sets of the low primer alarm. I've been running the mashine with a pick-up tube inside the steel casing, its tricky but I had to find a way to load while I waited for the parts.