Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What a difference a gun makes

doc540

So, I was at the range trying out the new trigger job on the PD AR. Wind gusts to 30mph and still shot 100yds "well enough".

Walked down to the pistol range to visit with a friend I hadn't seen in years.

He offered to let me shoot his NIB Colt 1911. I thanked him and enjoyed shooting a gun I hadn't fired in 10+ years.

Next to us was an elderly gentleman whom I didn't know, but graciously offered his Colt Custom Shop 1911 with classic stag grips. Said he'd owned it nearly 20 years.

Again, I hadn't shot one in a coon's age.

Ohhh....yesss....this feels verrrrrah nyyyyyyzah.

Instead of shooting for the ten ring of his fresh, 25 yd target, I aimed for the Range Logo at the very top, left edge.

3 shots, two ragged holes.

I should've never picked up that gun, much less shot it.

Now I have this kind of homesick feeling in my gut and can't not think about it.

No, really. :blush:

Edited by doc540

There is something about a fine gun that just seems to fit in your hand. It's no longer a gun but is now an extension of your arm. It feels oh so natural, oh so fine.

Many will never own such a firearm. Even more will own such a firearm and never really appreciate it.

Its the shooters paradox of life. As I get older I can now afford the fine guns I only dreamed of in my youth. As I get older I realize that my deteriorating skills can never do such a fine firearm justice.

It does not stop me from appreciating them, its just different. Anyone understand?

Bill

It does not stop me from appreciating them, its just different. Anyone understand?

Bill

Some people will do whatever it takes to own the most expensive Ducati motorcycle, just to relish the glow of owning such a projectile. It doesnt matter at all that a japanese litre bike has equal or greater horsepower at a fraction of the cost. I just looked at the 'open class' picture thread and what can you say? Just owning such a dedicated piece of hardware is in some ways its own reward. And having crashed at the racetrack on my motorcycle more than once I would say that owning a fine pistol is probably even safer than owning a fine motorcycle. Go figure. What gets my goat is that I bought audiophile stereo gear back in the day. I could buy the beginnings of a great pistol for what I paid for a damn $$$ CD player that I dont give a spit about anymore! :-)

There is something about a fine gun that just seems to fit in your hand. It's no longer a gun but is now an extension of your arm. It feels oh so natural, oh so fine.

Many will never own such a firearm. Even more will own such a firearm and never really appreciate it.

Its the shooters paradox of life. As I get older I can now afford the fine guns I only dreamed of in my youth. As I get older I realize that my deteriorating skills can never do such a fine firearm justice.

Bill

I understand. Better there than in a box. I have a kid in college so my deteriorating skills are in proportion to my deteriorating budget. :unsure:

Edited by doc540