Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So Certification Class

Mayonaise

I ran my first SO Certification class last month. It ran about 2 hours. I modeled my class based on the "unofficial" syllabus that is posted on the idpa website. I would like there to be, as promised an official guideline created something along the line of what the NRA or even USPSA appears to do for their classes.

From reading the BOD thread here and other threads I am curious about what you you guys expect from an SO cert. Class.

IMO, SO certification isn't about teaching SO's to be Match Directors. I don't plan to teach SO's how to design COF's or run a match. That's not the task.

I would also like HQ to set some minimum requirements to be met by prospective SO's. like 1) must be at least classified 2) maybe having shot in a minimum number of sanctioned matches 3) Having SO'd a minimum number of stages/matches etc...

To me, it mostly comes down to match experience and the people that who have helped you gain that experience more so than having sat through a class. You can still be an SO w/out certification. Get behind the timer.

Since my name is going on the card I feel responsible sending these guys off as "certified".

If HQ doesnt' give us more guidance should I set my own guidelines?

FWIW, My class is about 8 hours in the classroom. We go through the rulebook pretty much soup to nuts. I do not do it in order, I jump around a bit.

What I did was take the rulebook in word format and add my notes then print it out. I have it pagenated so the students can reference the book.

I pretty much go through the purpose of the sport, then the divisions, then holsters, then competition rules, COF rationale, then safety and gunhandling issues, though that is mixed up within the class proper.

I have about 8-10 handouts and 2 tests I administer.

Then we do some range time, though I will wave it on shooters who have (imho) quality experience running matches.

I do a lot of SO classes for new clubs who never ran IDPA before and with them I do a 1.5 day format.

I think it important to impress on the SO they understand the rules and COF rationale as not only should they be on the lookout for bad stages, they will eventually design stages themselves.

Ted Murphy

A02127

Mayo...this isn't my area, but I think you might as well take the bull by the horns. I have noticed that he shooting sports are a pretty small community. Often, for something to get done, somebody has to step up and just do it. It sounds like you are properly motivated to do the right thing.

I'd say go for it. Start collecting input (as you have done here already).

(edit:) Ted posted while I was typing my post up. Sounds like you guys could come together and work out a "standard". Bill Nesbitt also teaches SO's...I'll bet you guys could compare notes.

Mark

I applaud your can do attitude.

When administering an SO class, I took it in '00, it is important to have credibility with the folks taking it. I don't mean if you are a Master shooter, I mean that you have the real answers to the questions they will ask. And even have the answers to some questions they don't ask.

If you can do that, great. If not, you are wasting their time and yours.

If you repeat the phrase, "That's the way they do it in Berryville.", or "Because Bill Wilson said so.", you better pack up your suitcase and head out of town.

If you cannot get any guidance from HQ, it would IMO be better to instill some logic and common sense in the SO's, instead of trying to justify everything with the LGB. Cause, we know you can't justify the calls the SO's need to make with the LGB as it is now.

Guys!

Thanks for the input and the support.

I definitely want to expand my class and establish some basic requirements. I'm glad the first class was for the most part filled with people with a good amount of experience. One shooter however didn't make the grade IMO and understood that he needed more experience before I felt comfortable confirming him as certified.

Ted, great post as usual. Any intel you're willing to pass on would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

We are using a one day format. Sue and I take turns instructing during each class. Class time runs about 4 hours or so. I start with intro, bathrooms over there etc. :D I printed the rulebook from the IDPA web site and rearranged it to suit myself. B) We have a lot of stuff highlighted with notes written in the margin to guide us. We start with safety officer guidlines, then go into competition rules. Sue paraphrased the rules and that is what we use. ;) Then scoring methods, scoring issues, gunhandling issues & safety issues. We hit and skip through divisions, classifications, classifier match & holsters. Then we spend a fair amount of time on stage design. We use a lot of visual aides. Plastic guns to demonstrate safety issues, etc. We spend a fair amount of time on scoring where we have a flip chart with a big score sheet on it. We use targets with push pins for bullet holes.

We let the class go wherever the students lead it to a certain extent. We try to answer questions as they come up and then lightly touch that issue as it comes up in our presentation plans. We don't try to keep to a strict schedule. Different groups of students need different things to be stressed. For instance. The first class we ever did was for a local club where most of the students had never even seen an IDPA match. :D

Then we go to the range. We set up 6 targets and one barricade or barrels. We demonstrate tactical priority with and with out cover as well as tac sequence. We have several "stages" we shoot with this target setup. We have everybody shoot, SO & scorekeep until they are comfortable doing it. Sometimes we have a "ringer" shoot and see if the students can catch all the procedurals. :D

This lesson plan is constantly evolving. Each class is different and hopefully, better than the last. :D

Good luck on your venture through the LGB. B)

Bill Nesbitt

Going to be at nats Mark?

Ted

I passed this year. A bunch of us decided we didn't want to drive the 10+ hours to Arkansas. Apparently we weren't the only ones. As the date approaches I'm kinda wishing I was though.

Some friends are headed out there so the Georgia Death Squad will be represented.

Mark