Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

General Overall length question

goneracin

Is there any reason to not load longer? Most load data shows 1.100 for 9mm, at least for the powders and bullets ive seen. Is there any reason, as long as it fits in the chamber without engaging the crown of the rifling, and the gun feeds well with it, to not load longer? I am wondering because I would assume (dangerous I know) that the less free space the projectile has before it gets in the barrel, the better it should be, right? I have been loading everything to 1.100 installed height, but have been wondering about lengthening it out to 1.125-1.150, to see if that is better. Of course it would need a tenth of a grain more or something like that. This is in a Sig p226 BTW, and as far as I can see, there is no issue feeding longer stuff.

Thanks

Bob

Is there any reason to not load longer? Most load data shows 1.100 for 9mm, at least for the powders and bullets ive seen. Is there any reason, as long as it fits in the chamber without engaging the crown of the rifling, and the gun feeds well with it, to not load longer? I am wondering because I would assume (dangerous I know) that the less free space the projectile has before it gets in the barrel, the better it should be, right? I have been loading everything to 1.100 installed height, but have been wondering about lengthening it out to 1.125-1.150, to see if that is better. Of course it would need a tenth of a grain more or something like that. This is in a Sig p226 BTW, and as far as I can see, there is no issue feeding longer stuff.

Thanks

Bob

if you load to long the bullets will hit the lands before the breech locks up and then you will have problems. each gun is slightly different and bullets do vary a bit on their OAL. i would suggest you experiment with what works for you gun.

I like longer if the barrel will take it. 1911's, M&P's work with 1.135 or so. However my CZ SP-01 has to be shorter with some bullet designs ( MG 121gr). Try a round in your barrel before loading a bunch.