Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.357 Accuracy question

Carlos

Bought an old, used S&W 686 w/ pin on the hammer for $300 last night and want to load up some very light accuracy loads to ease my girlfriend into handgun shooting (she's already a smallbore rifle shooter). Her first impressions shooting my limited .45 and a 9mm Glock were not too positive; unfamiliar recoil seems to be the issue, though I know she will adapt over time. In the mean time:while I know that loading up some plated 158 grn wadcutters or RNs in .38 special cases will certianly work in the new 686, would there be any accuracy advantage to loading them in longer .357 cases? I plan to use position-insensitive powders like Titegroup so I am not too woried about light charges in cavernous cases like the .357. Would the accuracy difference (if any) be noticeable? Would there ba an advantage to magnum primers?  BTW, the 686 has a 6" barrel.

Thanks in advance, D.

The accuracy difference is likely to be very small.  Probably on the order of improvements made by using only one batch of brass, trimming to common length, etc.

What .38 Special brass will do is gunk up the front of the chamber, and if you don't scrub it out before using .357 brass you'll wedge the empties in tight.

Small problem, some time with a bronze brush and a cordless drill will cure it.

Thanks Patrick! Good point on chamber gunking, and I remember seeing a "brush-drill" setup in one of last year's Frontsite articles on revolver; I will take another look at the article although I do not plan to switch to revolver for USPSA.

Since any benefit would be minimal, will load .38 cases. Found a suggested plated bullet load for the Berry's plated 158 grn RN and my favorite clean powder (straight Clays):

1.525" OAL

.475 Crimp

4.X grns of Clays

WSP primer

I think it was quoted as a 129 PF load for one class of IDPA game. May back it off to under 4 grains to start for mild practice/accuracy loads.  The RN profile would certianly help w/ reload speed should I ever use the gun in competition. Thanks again. D.

I'll have to agree on the "gunking up" part!  I borrowed a Ruger Vaquero from a friend for a CAS shoot and he'd been using .44 Spec. brass with lead bullets.  I had .44 Mag brass with light loads and it wouldn't even chamber!  I took the cylinder out and put it into a measuring cup half-full of Shooter's Choice Lead Remover for 20 minutes.  I used a bronze brush and did 20 passes through each chamber and put the cylinder back in the cleaner.  After 2 hours of this procedure, along with using a Lewis Lead Remover, the Magnum rounds still wouldn't chamber!

I use a 686 and Magnum brass in Action matches with a light Titegroup load like you mentioned, and have no problems with chamber fouling.  Insofar as the accuracy question goes, I found no difference with the proper loads between .38 Spec. & .357 Mag., and if I were having to do reloads under the clock, I'd probably go with the .38s because there's a shorter ejector rod throw to get out the empties.  

If you use the .38s, be sure to clean the chambers thoroughly each time you shoot it (100 rounds or so) so that the Magnum stuff will fit later.

My 2 pesos...:)

I use 38Special cases for all but a200rounds a year. All my 686's and Rugers work fine. Just as they have said clean the chambers each time you shoot, do this even if you do not, like me, shoot 357Mag cases. The gunk will if left affect accuracy.

For new or recoil sensitive shooters I use a 125gr lead RN and 3.5 grains clays this is going at about 825fps. You should see how the lady goes and then gently over three sessions move the load up to 1000fps (4.1gr). The light load is used by my mother who shoots it in a Colt Police Positive 4". She is about 4'11" and weighs about 90lbs, wet. No hassles with recoil.

My seven year daughter who takes after her grandma uses this in one of my 686's.

So see what happens.

I have done a lot of testing with my Ransom rest and my various .357's (all S&W's) and have found that a good load in a .38 case will shoot great in the longer .357 length chambers.  When I got my 8 shot 627PC and shot a bunch of loads through it while clamped in the Ransom rest.  I was surprised to find that most of the .38 loads shot as well as or better than the .357 loads.  My handloaded 148 HBWC loads for my PPC revolver really shot excellent in it.