Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

180's and 231

degenerate023

hey all....im going to be running a limited glock 35 using a major pf using bear creek 180 mollys.....ive tried all over to find some titegroup and cant get my hands on any...and the only powder i have on hand is a couple pounds of 231 and some clays but have heard bad things of clays....so im going to have mixed brass with winchester small pistol primers.....i need to know a good OAL and grains of 231 to make major...thanx for any help

hey all....im going to be running a limited glock 35 using a major pf using bear creek 180 mollys.....ive tried all over to find some titegroup and cant get my hands on any...and the only powder i have on hand is a couple pounds of 231 and some clays but have heard bad things of clays....so im going to have mixed brass with winchester small pistol primers.....i need to know a good OAL and grains of 231 to make major...thanx for any help

Check out this site http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

I reload for my G35 and use that site to get a ballpark.

bullet wt multipled by velocity divided by 1000 = Power factor

so if you use 231 at the starting load 4.1grs you would get this...

180 x 797 /1000 = 143pf

make sure you watch you pressure ratings too.

Unless you don't mind a LOT of smoke, avoid the TG with moly bullets. I have no idea how well the 231 will work with moly's either. Depending on what you have available locally I would suggest trying the following:

Solo 1000

Universal Clays

VV N320

in that order of preference.

I have had pretty good luck with the above and moly's for no smoke screen. 231 may not be a bad choice either but I haven't tried it. the Winchester powders seem to do pretty good with the moly bullets, and WST was the second best in 9mm with molys. I would suspect 4.8 to 5.0 gr range with 231 will put you where you want. Of course, work the load up over a chrony and watch for pressure.

The glocks seem to feed better with shorter ammo. I wouldn't try to go too long with the round, 1.125 to 1.135 is probably about right. If I remember correctly (can't remember exactly) I'm running 1.130 OAL for my Glock 40 cal reloads. I check tonight when at home.

ok thanx fellas....yah i heard the .40 glocks were picky with the OAL cuz its really the same 9mm magazine just different follower...i might poke around and see if any one around town carries the solo or universal and try them out in addition to 231....ive heard the vv powders are way more expensive and the results really dont pay off

• 4 weeks later...

I just revised my order with Powder Valley.. originally had VV 3N37 on order and changed it to Solo 1000 to use with cast 175's (Lee TC) and upped my order on the primers.. which we are waiting for them to come in. (20K)