Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

rrr

Hello all, I am thinking of getting started in competition shooting. I came across this site and find it very useful. I know this question gets asked all the time but since I have not kept up with all the new models in years I have to ask. I'm interested in buying a top notch pistol with very few mods needed if any that will be competitive in idpa/uspsa. I am going to check out all the

suggestions and compare what's included for the price of the gun as well as the fit. Thanks for all the help. I am located in Ca.

R

You are gonna get a thousand opinions here. So here is mine. Im in CA as well and just started IDPA and USPSA as well. I have a 45 single stack and a Glock 34. These 2 allow me to shoot a variety of different classes. That being said, pick a gun you feel comfortable with. The Glocks, XD and S&W M&P's have alot of accessory and support and all shoot better than most of us will. Also see what type of matches and turnout in each classes are nearby where you live. Mostly just get something you like shooting and shoot it!

G17 or 34 will get you taken care of for relatively little investment and you can shoot both IDPA and USPSA Production as well as GSSF.

For the (theoretical) in versatility, go with a G22 or G35. You can shoot (and be competitive) in 2 divisions of IDPA, and every division of USPSA except Open.

Where at in CA?

Rich

G17 or 34 will get you taken care of for relatively little investment and you can shoot both IDPA and USPSA Production as well as GSSF.

For the (theoretical) in versatility, go with a G22 or G35. You can shoot (and be competitive) in 2 divisions of IDPA, and every division of USPSA except Open.

Where at in CA?

Rich

I'm in San Jose. I've been leaning towards a steel frame. I am certainly not going to rule anything out. I was checking out the S&W 1911 and 952 comps, CZ 75's, and Springfield Customs. They are all beautiful but costly. I was curious to find out what it is going to cost to get something that is very good out of the box and be able to shoot in the mentioned classes. I haven't done enough reading to know what is legal or not. Is it right to think one is going to have to spend upwards of a 1000.00+ for what I am after? I am the type who would rather spend the money now on something I like rather than trying to make something better to equal what I originally desired.

Thanks for the replies,

R

Hello rrr , I would suggest joining USPSA ,get the rule book and read what's legal for the different divisions. I feel that investing a $1000 to get started , you will find that Production Division will fill the bill. Steel frame firearms are fine, but the number 1 gun in Production is the Glock 34 and it has been for years. The steel framed guns, all ready to go, will cost around $1000 just for the gun. The Glock 34 costs around $ 650 and you might find one for less at Gunbroker.com or some other firearm site. You should check out the new S&W Pro which has been approved for Production Division. Before you make the leap, try going to a match and see what other shooters are using. Ask if you can shoot their gun. After you shoot the many types of guns that are available, you can tell which feels the best to you. Then you will know. You should be able to purchase any production gun and gear for under a $1000.

Good Hunting !!!!

Hello all, I am thinking of getting started in competition shooting. I came across this site and find it very useful. I know this question gets asked all the time but since I have not kept up with all the new models in years I have to ask. I'm interested in buying a top notch pistol with very few mods needed if any that will be competitive in idpa/uspsa. I am going to check out all the

suggestions and compare what's included for the price of the gun as well as the fit. Thanks for all the help. I am located in Ca.

R

Since you're in San Jose, you might consider coming up to the Richmond Rod and Gun Club; we have the largest and most active action range in the greater Bay Area.

PM me, and I'll bring the various Glocks I use in IDPA and USPSA for you to try out (I'm there just about every Saturday) Ammo on me (can't beat that :rolleyes: ).

Link here: http://richmondhotshots.com/

Since you're in San Jose, you might consider coming up to the Richmond Rod and Gun Club; we have the largest and most active action range in the greater Bay Area.

PM me, and I'll bring the various Glocks I use in IDPA and USPSA for you to try out (I'm there just about every Saturday) Ammo on me (can't beat that :rolleyes: ).

Link here: http://richmondhotshots.com/

Now that's class! RRR, can't get a better offer than that; Kevin is a great guy and one of the range officers that conducts new shooter orientations. Good show Kev :cheers:

Tanfoglio Match in .40

Makes a good limited gun and you can shoot it in IDPA ESP. retail is around $550, Call up Henning (he's in the dealer section) get a few parts and mags, you'll be good to go and on a pretty good budget. I don't know if they are California legal or not. I don't keep up with that sort of thing.