Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bladetech WRS holster: Thigh or DOH?

chrisct

I'm putting together my gear to shoot my first 3-gun match and I'm looking at the Bladetech WRS holster. I shoot IDPA now so I'm only used to belt holsters, so I'd like some advice. Which design is better for 3-gun, a DOH or a thigh rig? This is the first piece of gear (other than my actual guns) that I'm buying so I'm basically a "blank slate" at this point. Let me know what works best for you guys. Thanks!

I have been to many of the large west coast shoots and very few people I see use a thigh holster. I prefer the DOH, plus you can use it in regular USPSA pistol matches. Even better, use what you have and shoot a few matches, then spend the money after you have more information. You will probably end up with both because you need a box full of excess holsters like the rest of us. Welcome to 3 gun! :cheers:

Doug

I can't believe I am saying this...Listen to what Doug says! Experience is a good teacher but comes with a price. Shoot what you have an see what else is out there. I use the DOH myself. Now when I was in a vehicle all the time with guns a thigh rig worked well and a across the chest rig worked even better but that is not our game/sport and will be frownd upon (chest mounted).

Some matches will not let you shoot from a thigh rig unless you are active Mil or LEA so this might be a lean in the one direction too. A thigh rig does give you more room around the waist to place more ammo or whatever but again...it comes with a price.

Welcome to the Forum!

RLTW,

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

I use a DOH. I have thought if a thigh rig, but not really sure of where you can use it, so I have just stuck with the DOH. I use it in USPSA also. Maybe I need to buy the thigh rig and just put it in the "holster box" with the other ones that I don't use :roflol: . I agree with the other folks, shoot what you have for a few matches, maybe even borrow (or buy) one out of one of your friend's "holster boxes" until you know what works for you.

Hurley

I also shoot the DOH. One thing I will say about it is, if you are going prone with it, tighten down the screws to hold your gun securely. If you don't your pistol can and WILL come out of it -usually at the worst possible moment. Don't read into this and think this is a bad holster. It is easy to lighten up the screws and leave it that way for a lot of pistol matches, cause you are drawing out of it and then going prone, or you have your hand on your weapon securing it as you are moving, but when you are three gunning, and your hands are full of another weapon, have those screws tight. Saving .1 second on a draw is not worth the DQ- especially at a big major match. Don't ask me how I know! Lesson learned the hard way.

• 2 months later...

I would rather get belt room back by using a thigh rig for extra rifle mags. I still want my primary reload mag (for the rifle) on the belt. I tried a thigh rig for rifle mags but I kept banging into stuff with it, I must be too wide to start with.

Buy lots of stuff and see what works for you.