Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 Rimfire Reliability

Shot a steel match a few weeks ago and quite a few were shooting 22's. I saw a ftf on virtually every gun. I asked a couple of the shooters what was up with that and they both said alot of 22 is crap these days. You have to buy top shelf stuff for good reliability. When did this all come about. It has been over 20 years since I played with a 22 and I never had these kinds of problems.

About 8 to 10 years ago. I will not shoot any thing but CCI standard or Miny Mag in a match now, The Fiocchi SM 320 is very good :goof: at $35 a brick the last time I paid that was 8years ago. I still have most of that brick left. it shoots great at 90 yards.

I remember when Winchester Wild Cat would shoot 1/2" or better at 50 yards and if you had one round not fire in 1000 that was just plain dirt in the gun and it would fire the next time you hit it.

I purchased some CCI 22 blazer as practice and I get 5% failure with it

I recently got a .22 conversaion for the AR. Thursday night we put 500 rounds through it with ZERO malfunctions. Saturday we put another 300 with ZERO malfunctions. That was using Federal bulk pack.

I tried using Remington Golden Bullet in the Ruger Mark III 22/45 and it got lots of failures. Switched to Federal Auto Match and had zero failures out of 100 or so.

I will not shoot any thing but CCI standard or Miny Mag in a match now . . . . I purchased some CCI 22 blazer as practice and I get 5% failure with it

I am with you 100% on the CCI Mini Mag or Standard (good reliable ammo). Surprisingly, one of the better quality .22 ammo out there comes from Wolf.

But sadly, there is a LOT of crappy .22 around - especially the "500 round Value Packs" that come loose-packed.

I lost a bowling pin match last Saturday because my S&W Mod 41 puked on a blazer round on my last pin. It seems to like Remington and Winchester bulk pack ammo the best. It didn't want to eat Lapua ammo at all.

Basically, find out what your gun likes and buy lots of it :cheers:

fwiw

dj