Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mounting an rl550b and strong mount

njl

My quest for a bench / bench design has ended. I found one of these at a discount I couldn't pass up.

9FDB065BE726DAC2B4DCC7BA361519F1M.jpg

It's basically 2 heavy file cabinets with a 6' x 20" x 1.5" maple top. I plan to mount my press in the center. Other than mounting it close enough to the edge that the handle shaft doesn't hit the edge of the table, are there general recommendations and reasons for mounting it closer or further from the edge? I'm thinking about mounting it with the front edge of the strong mount 2" from the table edge. That gives me about 0.40" of clearance between the table edge and handle shaft when the shaft is all the way down. I just don't want to regret the location later and end up having to drill extra holes in the table.

My quest for a bench / bench design has ended. I found one of these at a discount I couldn't pass up.

9FDB065BE726DAC2B4DCC7BA361519F1M.jpg

It's basically 2 heavy file cabinets with a 6' x 20" x 1.5" maple top. I plan to mount my press in the center. Other than mounting it close enough to the edge that the handle shaft doesn't hit the edge of the table, are there general recommendations and reasons for mounting it closer or further from the edge? I'm thinking about mounting it with the front edge of the strong mount 2" from the table edge. That gives me about 0.40" of clearance between the table edge and handle shaft when the shaft is all the way down. I just don't want to regret the location later and end up having to drill extra holes in the table.

As long as you have enough clearance you shouldn't have any problems. IMPO you should mount it to one side or the other (over the cabinet) so you will still have some work space on your bench top. That is one thing that I think you would regret. Not to mention, one press is NEVER enough. I have 3 and I am looking for another.

I knew someone would chime in with the "leave room for other presses" line. :)

I sort of already have a second press and have possibly been offered a third. I'm not sure if I'll ever mount more than one though. Even if I do, the strong mount isn't that hard to unbolt and set aside with the 550 on it...so I could conceivably use the center spot for multiple presses. Since my plan is to load sitting, I think I'm going to be more comfortable centered so my legs have a place to go and I have access to the drawers without moving. BTW, these drawers came with dividers for the top ones that appear to be perfectly sized to hold a tool head with dies and caliber conversion box.

I'm really just wondering if there are advantages or disadvantages to having the machine right on the edge or as far back as handle clearance allows?

When I purchased my 550 from Brian I was advised to mount it as close to the front edge as possible. Mine might be a 1/2 an inch away from the front edge just so the large washers I mounted under the bench top would not show. I"m not sure how much further back it could go before the handle would hit the bench top on the down stroke. I think one of the advantages is you can stand straight up when reloading. It would appear that the further you mount the press back on your bench the more you are going to be leaning over it as opposed to standing straight up in front of it. This could prove hard on your back. My 550 is mounted on the left side of my bench about 8 inches in to allow me to keep a little box to refill my bullet tray when it gets low.

Edited by PatD

My front bolts are in 1.5" and it is perfect for me. You can set it on your bench and holding the top of the press (careful to keep you fingers OUT of the press/ dont ask how I know that) work the handle. If it is place rather close to the edge your knees probably wont be very far under the table anyway. My bench is 40" tall, plus the strong mount, so if I sit I use a stool. The hight is good (tho nearly to tall for sitting) for me to sit or stand.

I agree with those who suggest mounting as close as you can to the front of the bench. You'll have better clearance that way and won't find yourself leaning forward for hours at a time while you operate the press.

I also suggest mounting it off-center. I've got mine mounted on the left side of my bench, allowing me much additional workspace for lubricating cases, trimming, operating my vibratory cleaner, having manual open to check powder loads, etc.

Just my two cents.

Good luck and enjoy!

Are those casters or feet on the cabinet?

I have to laugh every time I see a youtube video of someone reloading, and the bench top flexes and the whole press moves all over the place.

Make sure you mount that bench solid. I bolted mine to the wall studs.

Are those casters or feet on the cabinet?

I have to laugh every time I see a youtube video of someone reloading, and the bench top flexes and the whole press moves all over the place.

Make sure you mount that bench solid. I bolted mine to the wall studs.

They're big metal rubber bottomed feet. With the weight of the cabinets and table top, I really don't think it's going to be necessary to anchor the bench to the wall. This sucker is heavy.

Maybe I'll bring it up to about an inch from the edge. I'm planning to drill either tonight or tomorrow.

I mounted my 550 with strong mount to a seperate piece of wood and tapped mounting holes in my bench. I did this so I can remove it when not reloading. Only takes a few minutes and I don't use this press that often. The 1050 I have is permanently mounted.

I don't use the strong mount but my press is mounted on plywood and C clamped to the bench just in case I want to move it and because, believe it or not, my bench is a hollow core door with legs attached and braced.

FWIW

Richard

PS: It has worked out great for longer than I can remember (my press started life as Dillon 450 and has been converted to 550).

They're big metal rubber bottomed feet. With the weight of the cabinets and table top, I really don't think it's going to be necessary to anchor the bench to the wall. This sucker is heavy.

BOLT IT TO THE WALL!

I made mine. 1.5" of solid plywood for a top (2' x 8' dimensions)... Six 4"x4" legs... ... 155 feet of 2x4... Weighs more than 300 pounds. Pretty sure my bench could kick your bench's azz.

Remember, you're taking a 3 foot prybar and using it to rock the table forward and backward over a thousand times a week/month.

Edited by MemphisMechanic