Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 load - starter

Alan Adamson

Ok, so yes, I've read the other threads and there is so much thread creep that they simply don't answer my question.

So simply stated. I've seen that some are using the same powder, powder amount, with either the 155 or 180gr bullet to create a minor or major load.

Can I just get a good starter recipe for the above combination.

Let's assume some basics.

- Small Pistol primer, either CCI or Winchester

- I can get any of the powders, so if there are numerous options, that's ok, post away

- I can order any of the bullets, berry's is an example, Rainer, or Zero, are others

- I have a 550B that I'll be working under if that matters any.

- I'm looking for a middle of the road, something that will work in a Production (non-modified) Springfield XDM (again, if that matters)

Just something to load, knowing it will shoot, and can give me a feel for the differences. Would prefer low smoke if possible, and yes I know that is somewhat determined by bullet makeup.

Hopefully this isn't a multi variable equations to solve...

I'm a beginner, wanting to get into some of the practical shooting games, but certainly not wanting to be a professional shooter... Just a hobbiest.

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

I would not call Berry's bullets very cheap I just looked at there web page and $106.00 per 1000 for a 180gr round nose plated bullet is not cheap. I use Montana gold bullets which I purchase locally for about $120.00 per 1000 for 180gr JHP. If you buy by the case they are $114.00 per 1000 2500 in a case.

I use Titegroup powder. My personal load data will not work with what you are shooting.

Click here for data to start with start low and work up with a chrono/ with out a chrono it is a crap shoot.

Hope that helps

yes, you are correct, I should have said, "for example - Berrys". Thanks for the link... I guess I'm in for a "process"... was hoping that I could get a ballpark starting point - perhaps I did with the low end of the proposed range.

If others offer any approach, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, and no worries, I've got a good flack jacket :)

Alan

Welcome to the forum Alan!

Major-180gr plated, CMJ or JHP and 5.0gr Unique should be about 170 power factor in a 5" gun.

Minor-same bullet and 4.2gr same powder.

Good, inspected brass and WSP primer. You're good to go.

Use the SEARCH function here and pick up copy's of Sierra's and Speer's new reloading

manuals. They're outstanding.

Jim