Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ANOTHER rear sight question

Spray_N_Prey

Ok Millet is out of the question, since I cant get them and the S&W blade is too small to file down

625JM & 627Pro

So what is the cheapest way to get a bigger notch? should I just get a swiss file and cut the notches wider? or how hard it is to change out the blade if I ordered one from S&W?

still trying to figure out how to thin out the front blade also.

Ok Millet is out of the question, since I cant get them and the S&W blade is too small to file down

625JM & 627Pro

So what is the cheapest way to get a bigger notch? should I just get a swiss file and cut the notches wider? or how hard it is to change out the blade if I ordered one from S&W?

still trying to figure out how to thin out the front blade also.

627 Pro looks like you use a .250 front, .160 rear

625 JM a .300 front , .160 rear

Front is easy with the "Classic" style interchangeable blades.

.160 rears allow (at least to me) a deep enough notch for the FO optic front to not be obscured and can be made plenty wide. File away and cold blue.

I have replaced the standard blade on my S&W revolvers with the Weigand rear blade. It has a nice, wide notch, and it also comes over the back of the sight to give a nice tall rear blade. It seems to have helped me in both SSR and ESR for IDPA at least. I ordered mine from Midway. They are no problem to change out, but if you do it by the instructions, you will need to order a new windage screw with the blade. If you're careful, you should be able to capture and reuse the spring and detent.

I had the Weigand blade on a competition revo for awhile and discovered two problems with it:

(1) It fits loosely and there is a fair bit of "wiggle" to the blade when it's installed, enough to compromise precision, particularly in terms of elevation.

(2) Being made of aluminum, it will not take cold blue, and when the black anodizing gets thin from wear, you wind up with silver areas that cannot be readily touched up.

I'm not saying it's a bad product, but those disadvantages do need to be considered.

(1) It fits loosely and there is a fair bit of "wiggle" to the blade when it's installed, enough to compromise precision, particularly in terms of elevation.

So that's why I can't hit anything with it from 20 yds out or more around a barricade. :roflol:

Seriously, yes, I have noticed the wiggle in it, but I didn't think it was that much more than the stock sight blade. I can see the point though....but maybe I'm not good enough for it to matter (yet).

The Weigand is a cool idea but the application needs more engineering. A cheap fix is to wedge some tape under the overhang. Be careful when adjusting the sight because this creates a tight fit and you may break you screw. If you order one of these, go ahead and get a spare screw/nut just in case. The only other alternative at the moment seems to be the LPA sight. :surprise:

The Weigand is a cool idea but the application needs more engineering. A cheap fix is to wedge some tape under the overhang. Be careful when adjusting the sight because this creates a tight fit and you may break you screw. If you order one of these, go ahead and get a spare screw/nut just in case. The only other alternative at the moment seems to be the LPA sight. :surprise:

I like my LPA , but I do wish they would come out with one with a wider notch :rolleyes: