Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dirty 38 super load

Papa Joe

I would appreciate an additional help on this! I am currently running a double stack open 38 super, Schuemann 4 port and EGW 6 port comp. I am having a new one made with the only difference is a Schuemann 3 port. My son is moving up and it will be my back-up. OK let's not totally lie, dad also wants a new gun :roflol: . The present gun gets very dirty after 200 rounds. I clean the gun after every session ( 200 rounds) I am loading 124 grain FMJ, 7.3 grains of Power Pistol and OAL 1.265, to make major. I have read a lot of great info on the Forum, but would appreciate more help. Should I go to a little slower burning powder (WSF , 4756, Longshot or ???) the three mentioned are locally available and cost effective. Thanks!!

I use 9.2 of 3N38 with 124 JHP, wilson 38 super with 3 port comp. Runs nice and clean with montana gold bullets and that powder. There is always a little unburnt powder after a few hundred rounds, but gun and comp run clean, with liberal amounts of slide glide on everything.

I have some 7625 to try but have not yet, so I can not give a comparison. 3N38 is a slower powder.

Edited by alcornl

So far I've tried 7625, 4756, Longshot, N350, and N105. Of those, I think longshot was the dirtiest. N350 and 4756 are both VERY clean. I'm currently shooting N105 and it's pretty good. 10.2 with a 115 JHP. I can certainly go more than 200 rounds before cleaning with it. I could go several hundred even with longshot.....

Thomas

The biggest thing you can do that would help is to move away from the full metal jacket bullets (I am guessing exposed lead base) and switch to a jacketed hollow point. Personally I am shooting Longshot with a Montana Gold 121 IFP which is not too dirty. The only thing I find is a build up of carbon in the comp and under the scope mount. The only issue with Longshot I could see in your gun is that it doesn't do that great in guns with ported barrels from all I have heard. It might be worth getting some to try out of your gun and run over a chrono to see if you can make major with it. A heavier bullet such as a 121, 124-5 range might be needed to make major out of a ported barrel. YMMV

Joe W.