Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To Change Platforms or not to Change

Rob D

Have never had a Glock, but I wouldn't turn down a $500 G35 with 5 mags either. I'm currently shooting an 'in frame only" Para 6 inch L-10 in .38SC that I put together myself. I've finally figured out I like a heavy gun. I do miss the Dawson tuned Edge just because it looked so pretty, and felt good in my hands, but the scores with the Para just kicks the ass off anything I ever did with the Edge. I may go back to an STI/SVI platform if I ever again can AFFORD to buy a new gun, now that both companies have come out with metal grip frames. Or maybe a Caspian...uh-huh another gun to go do the "Hawaii Hustle" to get mags for :wacko:

• 1 month later...
I can just tell you what my experience has been. I started with a Glock, went to a Para, sold it for an STI Eagle (all dolled up) and went back to the Glock. It isn't that hard to switch platforms, but why fix what isn't broken?

Take the 35, buy 5 Arre +5 extensions (although you will likely only see +4), a Dawson Ice mag well, Sevigny sights and a Glockworx drop-in Fulcrum trigger kit. For around $1000 you will have a gun that works 100%, has a 2.5# trigger with no take up or slop, and can hold it's own against anything out there (as long as you do your part). I'm not a big believer in aftermarket barrels- but YMMV.

+1 :rolleyes:

Well, I went a different direction. I went from a Glock 34 to a Glock 24 to a STI Edge and finally a custom Benny Hill Fat Free 6". My take, I should have skipped a few steps in the middle. If you're hooked and in for the long term, stick with the G34 and save until you can get a custom gun from Benny/Bedell/Millennium/Dawson etc.

Unless you're going to stick with the Glock platform for the feel of it, all possible steps in between are simply learning curve until you end up with one of the above custom built guns.

Yeah, I thought about adding Option C. Shoot production another season and buy a 2011 next year.

I ended up buying the G35. It was such a good deal at $500 flat with 5 mags that I figure I can get my money back out of it if I end up not liking it. That said, I think I'm going to like it. I've got mag extensions on the way, and after another paycheck or two I'll be sending to Charlie Vanek for some trigger love. Then I just need a set of Sevigny Competition sights since that's what I'm used to on my 34. I think I'll be able to start shooting limited after the double tap in march.

Now to search the reloading forums and find a 40 major load. Thanks to everyone for the input.

Good picked Rob. :cheers:

Well, I went a different direction. I went from a Glock 34 to a Glock 24 to a STI Edge and finally a custom Benny Hill Fat Free 6". My take, I should have skipped a few steps in the middle. If you're hooked and in for the long term, stick with the G34 and save until you can get a custom gun from Benny/Bedell/Millennium/Dawson etc.

Unless you're going to stick with the Glock platform for the feel of it, all possible steps in between are simply learning curve until you end up with one of the above custom built guns.

Yeah, I thought about adding Option C. Shoot production another season and buy a 2011 next year.

I ended up buying the G35. It was such a good deal at $500 flat with 5 mags that I figure I can get my money back out of it if I end up not liking it. That said, I think I'm going to like it. I've got mag extensions on the way, and after another paycheck or two I'll be sending to Charlie Vanek for some trigger love. Then I just need a set of Sevigny Competition sights since that's what I'm used to on my 34. I think I'll be able to start shooting limited after the double tap in march.

Now to search the reloading forums and find a 40 major load. Thanks to everyone for the input.

Good picked Rob. :cheers:

Call Charlie he is the man you need.Keep shooting.