Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Better In Matches Than In Practice

ErikW

When I was a C class shooter, and maybe into B class, I always shot my best in practice. Not just score and time, but being aware of everything and really in synch with the gun. I'd mow down the plate rack, seeing the sight lift and move, feeling the trigger reset, seeing the sight settle, etc.

Now I can't shoot the plate rack in practice to save my life. I really have to get deliberate to go 6 for 6. After several blown runs and a few slow, clean runs, I'll eventually put together a fast, clean run. But I rarely feel grooved in.

But at a match, I turn into the steel monster. At gardens of Pepper Poppers, US Poppers, and plates arrayed for transitions much more difficult than a plate rack, I usually go one-for-one on the steel, quickly. I feel totally grooved in and confident and it shows downrange.

There's some switch in my brain that's flipped for local matches. (It gets flipped to the "Rush" position for big matches.) I'd love to be able to get into this state in practice, so there's no difference between practicing and shooting a match.