Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Movement Drills

Larrys1911

You want to leave on an easy target. Start leaning before you get to the last one. You can be half gone on the last shot. Move so that you can make up a shot if called for, but your foot will come down outside the box shortly after the last shot on the last target.

snokid,

If I am leaving and going to the right, I usually try to shoot from right to left before I leave. I think that some of the others are often shooting left to right...that might explain some of the differences between our feet (from earlier posts).

• 2 weeks later...

In the context of this thread...

If I am shooting Right to Left, then moving to the right, I pick my right foot up before I am done shooting...so that my body is "falling" to the right...the direction I am moving to.

In general, I think it is a matter of how I like to move with the momentum of my shoulders.

I think it's all personal preference. I almost always shoot left to right, no matter where I am unless I make a conscious effort to switch for a certain array that favors right to left.

Might be a good idea to try setting up various different arrays that you see frequently and trying it both left to right and right to left to see what is most comforatable and easiest for you.

L2S

I agree it is beneficial to be able to shoot either R-L or L-R while moving either direction.

However, it just seems to me that if you are moving L-R or static to R, it would be easier to shoot L-R at the same time, so your body and shooting foundation all moved together instead of against each other.

I'm with Flex on this one. I almost always shoot targets in the opposite direction of that which I am moving. As the gun is swinging to the left for instance engaging targets R-L, my shoulders and momentum are going R, the direction I am moving or want to move. It just feels natural to me, although I agree being able to engage the targets both ways could be an advantage in some situations.

As far as which foot to leave on, I played with this at one point and vascillated back and forth between both. I eventually dropped it into the category of just letting my body naturally sort it out figuring I would come back to it later. I just decide that I am going to start leaving at a certain point while engaging and start leaning. I don't really "pay attention" to which foot starts first or where exactly I step as I am leaving. It has worked fairly well for me but I am not saying it shouldn't receive further attention.

Just the musings of a second-rate USPSA Limited Master (as Eric Warren might say).

Lets say you have to shoot from both sides of a wall. Normally, if you start in the middle with your hands on the wall, I go to my right first, engage the targets from the inside out because it's easier to begin moving to the left if you don't have to pull yourself out from shooting the inside targets. The key to shooting around walls and barricades is shoot from inside out so when you shoot your last target at a particular position, your ready to move.