Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

16" Barrel Ar Chrono Results

BillL223

These tests were made prior to the 2001 3-Gun Nationals. Rifle was a BM 16" V-Match with AK brake.

AE 50 gr 2948 fps 147 PF

AE 55 gr 2923 " 160 "

PMC 55 gr 2609 " 143 "

Black Hills 52 HPBT 2978 155 PF

Wolf 55 gr 2853 157 PF

IMI M193, I didn't record the velocity but I remember it at about 170 PF and is what I used for the match.

Chronoed yesterday. Bushmaster Superlight 16" no comp.

Wal-mart Winchester white box 55 grain valuepak.

Ave.164 PF, about 2960fps.High 3022fps, low 2904fps. Most were right around the 2960 fps mark.

Sunny, 75 degrees. Sea level MOL.

Tom Bergman

Edited to change the low velocity from 2004 to 2904 fps.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who posted chrono data, this is good info that refutes much of the BS I've read on the subject elsewhere.

"Minor" PF for rifles is still a lame concept - who would choose a 700fps, 161pf 45ACP over even the "weak" 157pf Wolf 55gr for any kind of application requiring "power", or "lethality" - but I guess we have to have rulez so the "Major" guys don't feel cheated.

I understand that's not really a valid comparison, but ultimately the 160pf amounts to some kind of judgement regarding an arbitrary "minimum" allowed for competition - as if a 155pf rifle is some kind of non-gun toy.

The arbitrary PF notion, along with the bias against any sort of rifle only-optic class, is why I don't shoot much USPSA 3 Gun and instead choose matches like Viking, SOF and SMMG.

/Rant off

Thanks again -