Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb Safety

trodrig

When installed on a blended frame and grip safety the thumb safety will usually protrude down into the blended grip safety area and needs to be contoured into the grip safety area to be smooth with nothing to dig into the web of your thumb to hand area.

The above conversations reinforce the suggestions that you have a pistolsmith do the work.

Anyone can stick the safety into the frame. A pro does a professional job.

:)

A man has to know his limitations...many will ruin several safeties before they either get it almost right or admit they have no clue and let a real smith do it.

I ain't a pistolsmith, but I support several.

When installed on a blended frame and grip safety the thumb safety will usually protrude down into the blended grip safety area and needs to be contoured into the grip safety area to be smooth with nothing to dig into the web of your thumb to hand area.

The above conversations reinforce the suggestions that you have a pistolsmith do the work.

Anyone can stick the safety into the frame. A pro does a professional job.

:)

I'm sure some brands will protrude on some guns, but I haven't seen that with Ed Browns or SVs, or STI's...they might be a little thick there, but they wouldn't cause any problems. I do recall this being the case with a Wilson years ago, but that's the last one I remember that was really bad.

Honestly, the thumb safeties that I've done on my guns are blended as well, or better, than what I've seen come from the big name shops. I'm certainly no metal magician, so if I can do it, most folks can (at least well enough to be decent) :)

A Box stock gun is no big deal.

Besides ....Don't yell at me, I thought we were friends? ;) Them Blue words look mean

Hey we're friends, I was just totally lost and scratching my head. Heck, I only use green words for when I want them to look mean :roflol:

Seriously, from Thomas' original post he said the only part he was concerned with was getting the engagement with the sear correctly and that he was okay with the rest. Based off that it sounded, to me, like he figured he could handle any of the other blending/shaping that might be necessary.

I spend an hour or two shaping my safeties and blending everything, then more time getting the exact amount of thumb pressure required to engage/disengage by tweaking the detent for the plunger....and all of that is after the functional part of fitting. I figured that it may be above and beyond what's necessary but I've had a lot of folks handle my gun and comment about how nice it feels with the combo of my own grip reduction/stiple and then safety/grip safety blending. I think that it's better to do it yourself and make it fit your own hand than having someone else doing it to fit what they think your hand is like....just an idea. R,

G-Man,

If you were to put a(any) stock safety on this pistol it would hang out way past the grip safety. The GS and frame are cut very high. This is what they are referring to.

Oh, I know what they're referring to, but there are plenty of guns where it wouldn't be a problem. In my posts to Thomas we were discussing the SV's which is why I pretty much stuck to talking about those....i.e. throw a set of Swenson's into the discussion and all bets are off. All of the SV ambis I've seen in the last two years or so already have angles for blending very similar to what shows on the gun you pictured. Unless a gun is radically cut through the grip safety area you could fit SVs and do little or no blending and they'd be okay....a little thick and not the prettiest, but functional.

Again, even if they needed blending, the original post by Thomas said he was comfortable with all but the actual sear engagement fitting, so it sounded like any blending or shaping wasn't a concern to him. If someone can handle the sear engagement I'd be really surprised if they couldn't handle any blending necessary, but I guess anything's possible! R,

Well, initially I never even gave much thought to the blending of the area that would/could dig into your thumb web. But it's a very good consideration! Thanks to all involved in the discussion for bringing this to light and hashing out the details! Ironically, after discussing this here, reading Bob's article again and again, and talking with Mike, I feel better now about fitting against the sear than I do about blending to match the frame!! :goof: I really don't know if, or how much, material Dave took off of this area when he did the enhancement package on it. If he didn't take any, or alot, of material off, then it's essentially a stock Trubore as far as that area of the frame is concerned and maybe the new safety won't stick out much.

I'll see what it all looks like when I get the part, hopefully tomorrow.

Thomas

YOuuu, Can DO ! IT!

When it works use a felt marker to make the part sticking out , = Remove the safety and take off just part of the metal leaving 1/2 of the felt mark. put it back in and fit again , and again. For this In & Out part you can leave the hammer and sear out of the frame to make it go easy. You will more than likely have to do some final cuts at the top too so that the slide can pass the top of the safety when it is down. So for all the first part leave the slide off

BUT remember

:wacko: I mite not know nothing , now cue Daffy Duck bouncing all around the work table

Edited by AlamoShooter

I doubt that Dave did anything to the frame to blend the safety in his enhancement package. If you use a stock STI safety it will probably fit without having to modify it externally. STI does not do a lot of modification to the area of the frame around the grip safety and thumb safety when they build the gun.

Edited by Brazos Custom

Ok, so, I decided to drive up to Dawson Precision today and pick up either an STI or Ed Brown replacement safety and work on fitting it this weekend. Well, when I got up to Dave's, he said he'd take care of it. About an hour later I was on my way, back in business! :) I was ready to do it myself but having a pro do it sure saves me time and gives me piece of mind that it'll work right from the start! I really am grateful that he was able to squeeze me in and fix it up! Thanks Dave!!

I'm off to the range tomorrow to sight back in and run a few practice drills in preparation for the match on Sunday! :cheers:

Thanks for all the advice and discussion folks!

Thomas

Ok, so, I decided to drive up to Dawson Precision today and pick up either an STI or Ed Brown replacement safety and work on fitting it this weekend. Well, when I got up to Dave's, he said he'd take care of it. About an hour later I was on my way, back in business! :) I was ready to do it myself but having a pro do it sure saves me time and gives me piece of mind that it'll work right from the start! I really am grateful that he was able to squeeze me in and fix it up! Thanks Dave!!

I'm off to the range tomorrow to sight back in and run a few practice drills in preparation for the match on Sunday! :cheers:

Thanks for all the advice and discussion folks!

Thomas

Did he put an STI or Ed Brown on it? If it's an STI order a Brown or SV and fit it when you get some time. The STI's seem to all break sooner or later. R,