Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Check Ammo FIRST!

VegasOPM

I shot a 3 gun match this weekend. The first stage was 300 yd rifle targets. First round bang, second round failure to fire, clearance drill- re-insert mag, drop bolt- another failure... ripped out the mag and inserted the back up. Made it through the stage, but not near the top. After the stage I went to an empty bay and function fired 20 rounds- no glitches. Marked the failures up to a bad mag and took the mag out of use. Next stage, pistol to rifle transition with rifle chamber empty. Ditched the pistol, cycled the action... failure to fire- looked at the bolt, hit the forward assist- bang- click... change mags, cycle the action- failure to chamber, forward assist, click, tried to cycle the round and the round would not come out... pound the stock on the ground and I'm spent.

I had reloaded a bunch of ammo and hadn't chamber checked any of it. I had two mags that had good ammo (the 2nd mag on the first stage and the 20 round function test mag). Everything else was the lastest batch of reloads. I ended up borrowing a mag and some ammo for the last stage, but I was already completely dead in the standings. After chamber checking the rest of the ammo, I figured out that the sizing die had backed out a bit and the shoulder was not being sized. The rounds that came out of my rifle would fit, but others would not (the chamber in my rifle is pretty tight). The others would not and caused a failure to chamber.

Lesson learned, check ammo for size after the first few rounds and use a go/ no-go gauge for all match ammo. Now I have 250 rounds to pull! :surprise::wacko: