Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Experiences Sought

Tangram

The past few years I have been making changes in my shooting disciplines. I shot IDPA matches for a few years but gave it up as it became increasingly difficult to get off the ground, of off a knee in the middle of a course of fire. I attributed it to my bulk even though I occasionally outran the safety officer. (Surprised them. They did not expect me to move.) But I hurt after/during the match. Took up the way of the shotgun and enjoyed shooting sporting clays. However, during the last year I have stopped shooting matches because of pain when I walked the course.

A recent round of x-rays indicated severe to moderately severe degenerative arthritis in both hips and lower lumbar spine. I am wondering if any of you are shooting with arthritis? (I am going see if I can hitch a ride in someone's clays cart and believe trap, skeet, or five stand will be easier on my body. My finances are limited so I most likely with not buy a cart/trailer/tow vehicle)

I don't have any experience with that...yet, but someday.

Trap, five stand and skeet would be less walking for sure. It would be good if they have carts for sporting. Our club is large enough where they will allow you to take the car if needed. Cuts down on a lot of walking, but not all.

I would recommend not holding the gun as a "free weight" until shooting if possible, as much as possible. Often the trap range will have pads to rest the gun barrels. Some people use their "foot".

Might help reduce the strain on your lower back.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like I may go with a total hip replacement. The research I have done so far seems promising. So the new question is anyone shooting with a total hip replacement?

Edited by Tangram

Gun carts dont have to be expensive. Checking Craigs List on a semi regular basis under jogging strollers will probably turn up a cart you can use with little modification. +1 on the total hip replacement, good for relief of pain, just choose the side that hurts worse and do that one first...

Gun carts dont have to be expensive. Checking Craigs List on a semi regular basis under jogging strollers will probably turn up a cart you can use with little modification. +1 on the total hip replacement, good for relief of pain, just choose the side that hurts worse and do that one first...

I got a fine Rugged Gear clays hand cart. Works fine for my shooting partner and me. However, on a bad day my walking range is 100 feet at a go, so a cart for me means something self propelled to get around a sporting clays course..

Thanks for the words about total hip replacement.