Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primer problems

Finally got 550b up and running, having a consistent problem. Primer will only be on cup on every other stroke of ram. Very consistent, kinda irritating, screws up concentration and sequence for sure. I have made sure feed tube has more than 50 primers in it, so not low, primer cup is in perfect position, no problems with seating the ones that do get there.

Do I need more weight possibly on the follower? :angry2:

Off to chono some loads, look forward to all your knowledgeble answers....

Edited by Kimberdude

Check that you're getting the full travel of the slide into the primer tube feed area. Watch the spring on the front of the tube as the slide comes toward you. The whole slide mechanism may be too tight as AWLAZS mentioned, or there may be some debris that keeps it from traveling far enough to pick up a primer every time.

Alan~^~

Also might want to check your primer feed rod that actually moves the primer feed bar. That is the piece of round stock that has the funny bends in it and rides against the roller on the primer bar. It might not be moving the primer bar all the way to the primer tube. You might need to tweek it a little to make sure you are getting full travel to the primer tube. You can look at the primer cup with the handle all the way down to confirm how far it is traveling.

Make sure the primer feed rod is in the groove of the roller on the primer bar and the case feed platform. It can bind up and not travel all the way.

I had the same issue with my new 550b. I spent 3 evenings working on this and after following quite a few threads found the solution. There were 3 things that had to be adjusted to solve this.

1. Remove the slide and polish all 4 sides with crocus cloth. Also make sure the 4 edges are smooth and not sharp. When you replace the slide put a little graphite on it. I used pencil lead and it worked just fine.

2. Check the primer cup and spring to be sure it is positioned properly. You should do this before you hook up the slide rod. Pull back the handle a little and place the slide under the plate and slowly push forward on the handle and let the plate push the cup down. Loosen the set screw, re-position the cup to its correct position and tighten the set screw. Once this is done, install the slide and rod.

3. There is a set screw on the back of the assembly that sets the amount of travel the slide can go back. While looking down your empty primer tube, cycle the handle and watch the rearward travel of the slide. As the handle comes to the full downward travel you will see the primer cup come into view through the tube. At the full reaward stroke the cup should come back just a little beyond the center of the tube hole. If it doesn't, adjust the set screw so it does. This will insure the primer drops into the cup.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Ray-man

Problem resolved with help here and Dillon CU....found couple very minor things added up to problem, first the bracket that holds the primer feed tube needs to be touching the press frame, and be VERY straight. Mine had a small gap and was not square to press, which put acutuator rod out of alignment with rollers and slide. Quick alignment and wala, works great. Also was suggested to put VERY small amount of light grease( not oil) on actuator rod where it inserts and pivots on primer tube mounting bracket.

Not a single hitch in my git a long, loaded 170 rounds in 20 minutes, if I were coordinated would have been faster! :wacko:

Thanks everyone!

I have had mine for 5 years and it has never fed primers consistently without a bit of additional weight on the follower. I put a 45acp case on top of mine.

My primers feed fine but I still have a little "bling" on my follower rod...only use I had for a little nickle G.A.P. case I'd picked up.

:roflol:

Problem resolved with help here and Dillon CU....found couple very minor things added up to problem, first the bracket that holds the primer feed tube needs to be touching the press frame, and be VERY straight. Mine had a small gap and was not square to press, which put acutuator rod out of alignment with rollers and slide. Quick alignment and wala, works great. Also was suggested to put VERY small amount of light grease( not oil) on actuator rod where it inserts and pivots on primer tube mounting bracket.

Not a single hitch in my git a long, loaded 170 rounds in 20 minutes, if I were coordinated would have been faster! :wacko:

Thanks everyone!

So you are saying the dull silver portion that holds the black tube needs to be touching the frame?

Edited by 98sr20ve

Thanks everyone!

So you are saying the dull silver portion that holds the black tube needs to be touching the frame?

Mine is off it by 1/8th no issues...

Thanks everyone!

Mine is off it by 1/8th no issues...

Mine as well. In fact you can't get it any closer. Maybe it's a casefed 550 thing. Mine does not have the casefeeder.