Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Powder measure

Just got my new 550 put together today. Everything looks like its working fine except I can't get a consistent thrown charge. I'm using AA #5 which I thought was a fairly good powder for powder measures. I'm loading 45 Colt and wanting 9.5 gr. I'm getting charges like 9.5, 9.8, 9.4, 10.1, 10.6, 8.4. Those were 6 in a row that I threw. I'm using a terminator D digital scale that zeros and calibrates just fine. Any suggestions?

Just got my new 550 put together today. Everything looks like its working fine except I can't get a consistent thrown charge. I'm using AA #5 which I thought was a fairly good powder for powder measures. I'm loading 45 Colt and wanting 9.5 gr. I'm getting charges like 9.5, 9.8, 9.4, 10.1, 10.6, 8.4. Those were 6 in a row that I threw. I'm using a terminator D digital scale that zeros and calibrates just fine. Any suggestions?

Since it is brand new, first thought is to run the adjustment screw on the powder bar all the way out then back in to zero. If there is some foreign material in the cavity it may be what causing this inconsistency.

My 550 powder measure/bar are very consistent, have not had problem you describe.

Thanks d..I'll give it a try.

Since it is brand new, first thought is to run the adjustment screw on the powder bar all the way out then back in to zero. If there is some foreign material in the cavity it may be what causing this inconsistency.

My 550 powder measure/bar are very consistent, have not had problem you describe.

First make sure the powder is 3/4 full and throw 15 charges and dumb them back in the powder hopper. Then start measuring your powder throws.

Hope that helps. I have a 550 and have no problems. I start every loading session the same way I described above.

BK

Also make sure the powder bar travel to the full extents... in some cases the fail safe rod assembly will hit and cause it not to travel properly. Also, make sure that the failsafe rod is doing it's job and pulling the bar all the way back.

Edited by JThompson

Thanks guys..I tightened up the fail safe bar, ran the screw all the way in and out, have thrown 50 or more charges and it is getting better. They are now all within a tenth. I did notice it sometimes "rains" a little powder when the casing is about half way back down to the bottom. I think this is the fail safe bar not completely closing. I'll tighten up some more.

Also make sure the powder bar travel to the full extents... in some cases the fail safe rod assembly will hit and cause it not to travel properly. Also, make sure that the failsafe rod is doing it's job and pulling the bar all the way back.

The above +, From a previous post

Dillon's answer

A couple of things to check: First, be sure that you are flaring the case mouth enough to consistently activate the powder measure. In my experience, the case mouth should be flared at least .010" larger than a sized, unflared case.

Next, the spring above the blue wing nut should be considerably compressed when you push forward on the handle to seat the the primer. This makes sure the

powder bar is pulled all the way back to pick up a consistent charge.

Finally, be sure you start with the measure at least 2/3-3/4 full, throw about 15 powder charges to settle the powder under the baffle, then start weighing the charges. ph34r.gif

Thanks so much guys. The fail safe rod appears to have been the problem.I'm coming from a Rock Chucker to a "red machine" that always needed some kind of fixing to this blue machine. This one is really smooth and I think I'll really like it once I can trust it.

Thanks so much guys. The fail safe rod appears to have been the problem.I'm coming from a Rock Chucker to a "red machine" that always needed some kind of fixing to this blue machine. This one is really smooth and I think I'll really like it once I can trust it.

:cheers:

I tried running AA #5 for the first time on my 550B to load up some 9mm and found I was having problems with the power bar becoming very "sticky" after as few as 10 rounds loaded...after 100 rounds, the powder bar was really sticking. It appeared that the power (which is very fine and flat) was slipping between the power bar and spacer. I called up Dillon and found that they don't recommend AA #5....the tech guy nearly described the problem before I was able to explain what I was experiencing.

Thanks for all the relies and advice. I tightened down all of the parts, made sure all the adjustments were correct and cleaned everything. No more problem. I'm amazed at the accuracy of this measure with the right powders.

I test/adjust my 550B by dropping 10 individual charges in a very clean and dry case which I then dump into my powder scale pan. Since I load 4.5 grains of VV310, I am looking for 45.0 grains with 10 charges. Using this method, mine will consistently drop 45 gr. +/- 0.1 grains -- which equates to 4.5 gr +/- 0.01 grains per charge. In summary: VERY consistent with VV310. P.S. I also regularly measure a single charge during loading sessions (usually about every 25 or so) and have never missed 4.5 grains using this method.