Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What .45 ACP do you shoot for Heavy Metal?

DMAC

I'm thinking about getting a 308 and that would complete my arsenal for heavy metal class weapons.

I have a Glock 21 that I could use, but I was wondering what pistol the Heavy Metal blasters are using (I'm always looking for an excuse to get another gun!) :D

Are the HM rules different from match to match?

Is pistol capacity limited? To what?

If there's no limit on capacity I would definitely use one of the pistols that hold more bb's: G21, XD45, P14 or a 2011.

Every shoot seems to have their own set of rules. Some shoots limit magazine to load 10 rds. max while others require single stack 1911 with 8 rd. max. The only advantage of a high cap 45 would be how it handles for you and not ammo capacity.

USPSA requires a 5" 1911 SS in .45. Limited to 8+1 rounds.

Provisional Addendum to the USPSA Rules, 2009 Edition Multi-Gun Matches

v9f: Revised - Feb. 2009

D) General Regulations:

(iii)b “Heavy Metal” division within the context of a USPSA multi-gun match at this time Will follow the guidelines of the newly formed Heavy Metal division in the USPSA Tournament and Appendix B1 & B2 of the Multigun rules.

Handgun: Major Power Factor, Maximum of 9 rounds loaded, Max. of 8 in magazine in the case of Rule 8.1.1.2. Any Single Stack in 45 ACP that meets the SS rules allowed

SMM3G requires a 5" 1911 SS in .40+. Limited to 8+1 rounds.

6.3 Handgun – Heavy Metal

6.3.1 Firearms must comply with the Tactical handgun rules (6.2.1; 6.2.2 & 6.2.3).

6.3.2 Minimum caliber to be .40 or larger.

6.3.3 1911 Government style Single-Stack pistol, 5” barrel or less. No bull barrels, no coned barrels, or barrels with flanges will be allowed. Frames shall be made of steel, or other metallic alloy. Plastic or polymer frames will not be allowed.

6.3.4 Factory standard length Single-Stack magazines (excluding base pad) with no more than 8 rounds loaded

will be allowed.

6.3.5 Minimum power factor shall be 165.

DPMS Tri Gun: 8+1 rounds. This match's current rules is unclear as to what frame/make it requires.

6.7 HEAVY METAL CLASS

6.7.3 Handgun Rules:

6.7.3.1 Handguns must comply with Tactical Handgun Rules with the following exceptions.

6.7.3.2 .44 caliber bore or larger for all revolvers and semi-automatic pistols.

6.7.3.3 No more than 8 rounds allowed in any magazine at any time. (Single Stack Rules)

Etc.

You can basically use (and be competitive) a SS 1911 .45 with 8/10 round magazines in all matches that has an HM division.

Thanks for the update. I think the Blue Ridge Mountain 3 Gun (that I'm shooting in April) requires .45 cal and 10 rd. mag limit. I really could use a nice 1911 single stack though.

Any time I shoot HM, I use my Para P14 unless it specifically says SS. I just like the feel of the fatbody grip and can reload it faster. I load to whatever the rules allow, be it 8 or 10.

RS is right though. A 1911 SS will work for all by just using different mags.

Craig

• 1 month later...

D) General Regulations:

(iii)b “Heavy Metal” division within the context of a USPSA multi-gun match at this time Will follow the guidelines of the newly formed Heavy Metal division in the USPSA Tournament and Appendix B1 & B2 of the Multigun rules.

Handgun: Major Power Factor, Maximum of 9 rounds loaded, Max. of 8 in magazine in the case of Rule 8.1.1.2. Any Single Stack in 45 ACP that meets the SS rules allowed

6.3.1 Firearms must comply with the Tactical handgun rules (6.2.1; 6.2.2 & 6.2.3).

6.3.3 1911 Government style Single-Stack pistol, 5” barrel or less. No bull barrels, no coned barrels, or barrels with flanges will be allowed. Frames shall be made of steel, or other metallic alloy. Plastic or polymer frames will not be allowed.

6.3.4 Factory standard length Single-Stack magazines (excluding base pad) with no more than 8 rounds loaded

will be allowed.

DPMS Tri Gun: 8+1 rounds. This match's current rules is unclear as to what frame/make it requires.

6.7 HEAVY METAL CLASS

6.7.3 Handgun Rules:

6.7.3.1 Handguns must comply with Tactical Handgun Rules with the following exceptions.

6.7.3.2 .44 caliber bore or larger for all revolvers and semi-automatic pistols.

6.7.3.3 No more than 8 rounds allowed in any magazine at any time. (Single Stack Rules)

Etc.

You can basically use (and be competitive) a SS 1911 .45 with 8/10 round magazines in all matches that has an HM division.

See, I took the USPSA rules to mean that a Single Stack is ideal, but anything with 8 rounds or less in .45ACP would work. I'm moving to southern Indiana soon and for the first time I'll be within a reasonable distance to a club that actually does 3-gun. I've pictured myself shooting Heavy Metal with pump shotgun, M1 Garand, and 625 for the handgun, cause if I don't win at least I'll look good. B) By all means, somebody correct me if my interpretation is wrong.

D) General Regulations:

will be allowed.

6.7 HEAVY METAL CLASS

6.7.3 Handgun Rules:

Etc.

See, I took the USPSA rules to mean that a Single Stack is ideal, but anything with 8 rounds or less in .45ACP would work. I'm moving to southern Indiana soon and for the first time I'll be within a reasonable distance to a club that actually does 3-gun. I've pictured myself shooting Heavy Metal with pump shotgun, M1 Garand, and 625 for the handgun, cause if I don't win at least I'll look good. B) By all means, somebody correct me if my interpretation is wrong.

You will ALWAYS look good with a Garand and definately put the MAN in HeMan. :bow:

Craig