Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

iFiber installation- Got any tips Henning?

pivoproseem

I've got a supersighted match 40. The front sight came off without mutch trouble. There is a slight groove in it though, where metal was shaved away by the slide. I tried to put the iFiber on, and a piece of metal was shaved from the side, but it continued in a curve, lifting the sight in the dovetail, I tried to file it down so that it would fit. I eventually got it on, but was crooked. (:o(

I shot the gun anyway in a match and came within 5% of an A class open shooter.

I just ordered another iFiber and hope to not F this one up..they are too expensive to ruin another one!!

So, any tips on getting this one installed correctly?

Hey Rusty

I cut you a deal on your 2nd iFiber. Do as Charlie says.

The first three batches of the iFibers were everything from tight to loose in various slides it was installed in. We tried to make an absolute perfect fit and I used 5 slides that I had to determine what the width/dimensions should be. The slides are too different to be able to do this unfortunately. The factory approached things differently. Obviously, the factory is a much sloppier product and they put a different angle on their sights resulting in a definite metal-shave on every install.

Based on feedback on the first batches we did this... believe it or not... but we made the width 1/2 thousand thicker... that is 0.0005" !!! And on these tolerances that is quite a bit. It makes some sights tight to fit and some perfect. What is important is that you have the sight absolutely perfectly lined up at the bottom of the slide. If you are slightly off, which is easy to do and can be hard to see.. you'll see the sight go in with metal-shavings. From what I've installed so far, if you've got the sight lined up perfectly... you can use a hammer and tap it in even if it's tight. If you think it's too tight, use a file very very carefully. But my guess is that it wasn't lined up 100%. If your experience is different, please call or email me. I cannot control what the factory does, but I can control the products I make.

;-)

That's just what mine did when I installed it. It turned/cut it's way up through the middle on one side. I managed to salvage it though by retrying it a few times, then driving in down flat with a brass punch. :sick:

Awesome, thanks Henning!

That sight helped me shoot one of my best USPSA matches ever, even if if it was crooked and almost fell off (I'd moly-resin'ed it in place, thinking the screw would not come loose.. I was wrong)

Hey Rusty

I cut you a deal on your 2nd iFiber. Do as Charlie says.

The first three batches of the iFibers were everything from tight to loose in various slides it was installed in. We tried to make an absolute perfect fit and I used 5 slides that I had to determine what the width/dimensions should be. The slides are too different to be able to do this unfortunately. The factory approached things differently. Obviously, the factory is a much sloppier product and they put a different angle on their sights resulting in a definite metal-shave on every install.

Based on feedback on the first batches we did this... believe it or not... but we made the width 1/2 thousand thicker... that is 0.0005" !!! And on these tolerances that is quite a bit. It makes some sights tight to fit and some perfect. What is important is that you have the sight absolutely perfectly lined up at the bottom of the slide. If you are slightly off, which is easy to do and can be hard to see.. you'll see the sight go in with metal-shavings. From what I've installed so far, if you've got the sight lined up perfectly... you can use a hammer and tap it in even if it's tight. If you think it's too tight, use a file very very carefully. But my guess is that it wasn't lined up 100%. If your experience is different, please call or email me. I cannot control what the factory does, but I can control the products I make.

;-)

went outside yesterday to zero the new sight. only 2 clicks elevation and wonderfully enough it allowed me to move the rear sight back to center. Even in the dim light I had to work with the sight was nice and bright. great light vents down the side, and that dot, man it was nice, smaller than the factory one, and crystal clear. The extra, exposed, length makes an obvious difference. the extra brightness really makes it easy to track. I couldn't really see the serrations in the gloom at the range, but in the decent light of gunroom they also really stand out, so I'm looking forward to trying it out in decent lighting.

• 1 month later...

Fitted my IFibre today, very pleased. I placed the sight on medium grip sand paper (on a flat surface) & lightly sanded the base for a friction fit. Small amount of file work to the sides & "hey presto", in it went. Perfect.

Thanks Henning, your products are great.

Cheers, Ando.

Edited by NOSAJ19